Head Gasket 00XJ@56K

y2kxj

A few months back I wrote about a leaking rainbow coloured fluid. It turns out that this is a leaking head gasket. I have a 2000 XJ Limited with 56,000 km's 2-1/2" OME Lift, 255 BFG A/T's . I have had nothing but problems with this Jeep from day one and now the dealership wants $750 to fix it. I can buy an extended warranty for $2000 which I will recover almost half with this one repair. The warranty will give me 3yrs, 60,000 km coverage. I would like to know if you guys think I should pay for the fix or warranty. If I go over 60,000km's I won't be able to get the extended warranty. If I don't get the warranty what other problems do you think I can expect to have with this Jeep that will cost this much to repair? Is this the Jeep thing people are always talking about?

COUNT ME IN!

If you would want to change the head gasket yourself, it is not really that hard at all. If you are having a lot of problems, and think you are going to be having more in the future and will keep costing you money, then you might want to consider the warranty. If you don't feel up to changing it yourself, you should probably shop around at other shops and see how much they would charge you for the fix. That's just my opinion though!

New to group and a question ...

What are some of the other problems the cherokees are famous for?
I straightened out the problems with a stock suspension and tires and would hate to have to cut my losses now and get into a new vehicle this thing is in mint condition.

Just an update: I took it to another dealer and they explained that it isn't really leaking that bad, that the gasket is just sweating a bit. There's no oil in the anti freeze and no anti freeze in the oil so its ok. Is this a line of bull or are oil leaks common with the 4L 6?

I'm not sure if it is common among those engines, but if the head gasket was blown or anything like that, there would be a huge cloud of smoke (actually steam) coming from the exhaust when you start it up. So if that's not happening, it should be fine and won't hurt anything.

Is it a ton of oil leaking from it, or just a little bit?

It is only a small amount of oil leaking at this time. I keep this thing super clean and didn't want the engine covered with oil. I will keep an eye on the leak and my oil level. I also think I will purchase the extended warranty when I get closer to 60000K. Over the next month I will put a few more k on it going back and forth turkey hunting so I will post if there is any further problems with it. Thanks for the help.

Back