Thread: pulling a 4.0

Does anybody know the easiest way to pull a 4.0 out of a cherokee?
    Do you need to drop the transmission and t-case?Or is ther an easier way?
    Any help is greatly appriciated!!!!!

jeeperjoe is offline Senior Member
    you might be able to get it out with the transmission, if you remove the radiator and maybe some of the grill assembly too, but definitly not with the tcase. its not too much work to disconnect the transmission.

I had to take off the grill support and, because the front end is lightly wrecked so taking out the radiator and A/C condensor was in the game plan. I ended up dropping the t-case and transmission to get to the top bellhousing bolts then putting it backand getting the rest of the bolts.

Thanks for the input
    Jon

XJNick is offline Senior Member
    Hi,

I had to pull the 4.0 out by itself, without either the transmission or t-case attached. My Cherokee had so little clearence between the radiator and engine, so it was a tight fit.

-Nick
    1988 Jeep Cherokee w/ 410,000+ miles. Now a 100% Electric Vehicle!
    NO Gas, NO Emissions, NO Problem! -- http://www.DriveEV.com/

agoldxj is offline Member
    we pulled my friends with out the transmission and tcase, we remover the front clip and radiator. the only hard part were the 12 point star bolts at the top of the bellhousing. ( use alot of extensions). good luck.
    96 xj 4.0, aw4, np231, d30/8.8 with 4:10s, 6\" lift, acos, jks discos, sye, rustys tc skid and steering brace ,warn d30 skid, 8.8 rock ring,skid row gas tank skid,surco rack, 33x12.50 bfg muds, bushwackers, high lift, arb bull bar, yellowtop, 6 hellas.