XJ transmission problems

six

First timer to this site. So a big hello to everyone!! thought that you all could help me with some advice.
I have a 98 XJ and the auto trans is acting up It doesn't slip but doesn't want to shift up. I have to let off of the gas and bring the RPM's down for it to shift. any thoughts as to what might be wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Six.

Six- Welcome to Jeepz.....Is it missing throughout the driving range or shifting when it is not supposed to? Or is it just not wanting to shift at all?

greetings! my first time here.. my first jeep! eh.. just bought this puppy.. a '92 cherokee in line 4.0 6 banger...
all in one afternoon while degreasing under the hood... i removed and LOST the ccv valve... then... drove it a few minutes.... it lunged - jerked.. (for better words) and then the transmission stopped shifting.......... hmmm...

Although I could not find the correct ccv, I found a grommet that fit. Idle came down but still won't shift until it hits about 4k rpm!! yikes... also... it will NOT shift into overdrive... geesh!

It was running hot so I removed the old funky thermostat.... brought the temp waaaaaaaaay down... this is good since I live in "sunny florida"!

Still... won't shift... HELP!!!!!!!

Thanx!
Bonz

greetings! my first time here.. my first jeep! eh.. just bought this puppy.. a '92 cherokee in line 4.0 6 banger...
all in one afternoon while degreasing under the hood... i removed and LOST the ccv valve... then... drove it a few minutes.... it lunged - jerked.. (for better words) and then the transmission stopped shifting.......... hmmm...

Although I could not find the correct ccv, I found a grommet that fit. Idle came down but still won't shift until it hits about 4k rpm!! yikes... also... it will NOT shift into overdrive... geesh!

It was running hot so I removed the old funky thermostat.... brought the temp waaaaaaaaay down... this is good since I live in "sunny florida"!

Still... won't shift... HELP!!!!!!!

Thanx!
Bonz

ok... so... I'm driving to work in town.. medium traffic... my xj FINALLY shifted into overdrive... then... started shifting fine... whoa... transmission goblins??:twisted:

So.. that's this a.m. ... we'll see if it still shifts when I head home from work!
:lol:

well... went to lunch... driving in slow traffic... hard to get the rpm's up to 4K! Started slipping again... :cry: could this be a vacuum problem???:confused:
Thanx in advance!
all ritey then...
day 3.... grrrrrrrrr........... still won't shift... running hot... i'm bummed! Any suggestions??

okee dokey... i'm taking her to a transmission shop in the a.m.... i'll post my findings!

Last edited:
Back