Electric cooling fan

Jewel

Hello,

My 1988 Cherokee Jeep is overheating. So, I put a new thermostat in it and I have a good radiator. However, it still over heats I turn the heater on to take the heat off etc. When I was driving home it dawned on me I do not hear my fan kick on and haven't for awhile.

Can some one tell me why?

Peace, Jewel

I believe the electric fan only kicks on with the AC, not sure. You can put a jumper wire in place of the relay if you want it on constant.

Park nose down and remove the temp sensor from the back of the head. Fill the coolant until it flows from this hole, then you're sure to have all the air out of the system.

A pressure leak in the overflow bottle will also cause overheating.

If it were me I would get rid of the relays and put the fan on a switch. Turn it on when the heat starts to rise. That way it isnt always running and you dont have to have the heat on in the summer. If you wire the fan to a switch and it doesnt work, your fan motor is bad.

Well, thank you for your advice to whom replied. My Jeep is still overheating. On a label on my fan states to basically be careful because the fan can kick on when you turn the motor over/running. At this point I am assuming my fan is not working. I remember when my jeep got hot the fan would kick on, which does not happen anymore.

Can anyone tell me if my electric coolant fan interchanges with a 1992 Jeep electric coolant fan? My parts rig is a manual and my 1988 Jeep is an automatic. So not all things interchange.

I have a parts rig that I pretty sure has a fan like mine in it. From what I read in my manual it states I have to fill my reservoir three times as the fluid drains into the radiator. Of course I have done this because the pressure has built up and shoots out the cap a bit (so I refilled when it is cooled down). Though I had another cap on to prevent this nevertheless, I ended up putting the newer cap back on the reservoir. What I noticed before is if my fluid is not completely filled to the mark it does not have this problem as much and does not seem to overheat.

I will check out what I can since I rely on my Jeep living rural as I do and thank the both of you for replying to me. I will get back to you if I can not figure it out.

After reading numerous post relating to fan and overheating I got completely confused not being a mechanic. I guess I will try to purge the air out once again and it would be really nice if someone could tell me if the fans interchange and I could go from there.

Peace, Jewel

I doubt the fans interchange, jeep changed almost everything under the hood in '91.

Hello,

Well, The fans do interchange though the other eletric cooling fans motor is burned out as well. I found one at the auto yard and plan on purchasing it. Meanwhile I noticed when I have the hood up and the Jeep starts to overheat (at this point I have my engine turned off . . .cooling down). I can see the anti freeze flowing into the reservior and at the same time it is being sucked into the radiator. This event can suck the reservior dry. However, if I fill the tank to to its mark when it becomes hot and bubbly (overheating) it shoots out where ever it can (with thermostat in it).

So, someone told me I could have a defective thermostat (I bought a new one just the other day or so and put it in). Today, I decided to take the thermostat out. I took my jeep for a test run and it ran about 160 or less. I thought oh good, maybe I can run it into my mechanic (20 miles away, mountainous driving). However, by the time I parked it in the driveway the heat was 210 and I could tell it was not going to stop there.

Bummed out worked on it all day. Just want to drive it to my mechanic etc.

Do I still have an air bubble ? And is my eletric fan real important where it is difficult to just drive 20 miles without its use. Can I drive it without a thermostat during summer. And how hot is too hot besides being in the red. My thermostat is 195 (which I took out) and can I drive it this way? I live in the mountains of WA State (quite rural) mile long drive way straight up to the house as well as 20 miles into town.

Any more suggestions?

Peace, Jewel

I dont know a crap load about jeeps but the mechanics should be the same as anything else. You should be able to run without the thermostat in. It would be the same as if you thermostat was wide open. Which would make it run cooler.

Back