2000 Grand Cherokee - spun pinion bearing - Need advice

kkady

I have a 2000 Grand Cherokee limited with the Quadi-trak II all-wheel drive. I spun the rear pinion bearing in the front axle. I found a local jeep mechanic that will replace the front axle for me for $900 installed. I thought that was a fair price. Unfortunately, I won't have the bucks for a few weeks and want to use the truck. Can I disconnect the front drive axle on it and still use it? I'm only hearing the grinding when I load the bearind during acceleration and deceleration. When I pop the transmission in nuetral the noise does not occur. I believe this model has a front axle sensor as well. What do I have to do to bypass it? Looking for advise in what my options are. Thanks.

I wouldn't run an all-wheel drive jeep without the front driveshaft.

Why replace the entire axle when all you need to do is replace the bearings? Pinion bearings are cheap and easy to install.

Are you 100% sure the front axle is the culprit? Grand Cherokee's are notorious for having rear axle problems with the aluminum center section Dana44 axle.

It is definately coming from the front axle. I picked up a shop manual and the symptoms all point to the rear pinion bearings. After reviewing the shop manual, it seemed that I would need some special tools to do the change-out. I'm up for doing the work if its easy. Can you explain whats involved in it? What will the bearings run me, what tools do I need, and what else should I replace while I have it apart? Much thanks in advance for the advise.

How can I confirm if it is front or rear to be sure? should I disconnect front shaft and drive to see if the noise goes away (if so, then its the front)? Is there a better way to confirm for sure?

Back