97 Grand Cherokee zj

Alignment

I didn't have much time to give details. Anything that throws out your alignment including dirt in the rims or bad axel u-joints can cause vibrations and shaking.

DW starts at app 65mph and doesn't stop until you slow to nearly stopping. It is a violent occurrence of oscillation. But could start as a shake until you get enough slop in components to allow more movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Lol my zj does it between 53 and 62. When I hit a bump that hits one tire before the other. Occasionally I can power through it, it will stop violently shaking around 85. Normally I just slam on the brakes. My Trac bar has slop my tie rods have slop my boots on the CVs are torn drag link has slop. I just learned what causes it for my vehicle and adjust accordingly. Used to happen twice a day. Now maybe once a month

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I'd like to offer an account from my own experience regarding the problem you are experiencing with your jeep . Over the summer , I slaved over a hot jeep , my dads 1999 jeep grand Cherokee . Although the '99 is a WJ platform , it shares similar front suspension components . In addition to rear upper control arm ball joint and bushing replacement , fromt suspension components were replaced as well . He too had death wobble in the jeeps front end.
We replaced the outer tie rod ends on the center link but felt no need to replace the ends on the drag link . The trans mount was faulty and was replaced but didn't bear any responsibility toward the death wobble .
After replacing the said parts , the problem still existed . The replaced parts DEFINATLY were needed. Although the track bar was once replaced in the past , excessive play did exist.
We promptly replaced it and took it for a drive . Problem solved .
We didn't want to just throw parts at it and spend money on what may be the problem so we systematically repaired the obvious . We test drove after every parts replacement .
I neglected to mention the first parts replaced were the upper and lower front ball joints and front axle lower control arms . The wrong r/s tie rod end of the center link was installed at some point . This caused the tie rod end to strike the front axle at the track bar axle mount and force the control arm rearward . Excessively worn bushing . And yes , the problem still existed . They were definately worn .
As you know , the track bar is what holds the axle in place so there will be no side to,side movement . If excessive movement is allowed left to right , the death wobble occurs .
The road speed that DW occurred on this WJ was approximately 30 mph or greater but i suppose the level,of wear and tear may factor but I still don't think DW can only occur at just any speed , I think it just happens to common in some cases . BTW , the tires all around and shocks were in good shape . The stabilizers were fair .
What I've learned in conclusion from this experience and my own on my XJ is that proper inspection is the key . JPNinPA has said many times in previous threads to perform a dry steer test . This will yield obviously loose and/or worn parts . It seems to be more effective than trying to shake components with our hands and is even better than a pry bar trying to produce movement . This will naturally show excessive movement as it exists with the jeep on pavement in a more real world environment when DW would occur. One person turns the steering wheel and one observes the components one by one . I feel the offending component(s)will be found .

Last edited:
On my 94 GC, chased the problem for a couple of years, changed OEM and some upgraded parts. Tried better shocks and finally settled on Bilstien HDs. Then the death wobble showed up about a year later. Found on-line Kevin's off road. They have an extensive discussion of problem and potential and their (of course) solutions. Give their site a try. I installed their steering damper and upgraded track bar, no more issues for about 100k miles (220k on car now).

Sent from my SM-T337V using Tapatalk

Back