Thank God this happened just as i got home

bradleyheathhays

'96 XJ 4.0 here ... So doing about 10 mph, right before turning into the driveway I hear some kind of rattle/clunking sound for about 2-3 seconds coming from the engine and just that second I lose power steering. I crank it on into the drive, pull around back and get out to see I've been putting out coolant all the way back to where I lost the steering out in the street. And right there as I'm parked the engine temp is normal but there's all kinds of coolant pouring out the front of the engine. It continues to rain down for the next 3-4 minutes while I scamper around getting my face burned in the stuff trying to see where it's coming from. After getting a couple angles on it it seemed to be coming out from behind the top big pulley in the center of the engine.

coolant leak.JPG

Isn't that the water pump pulley? So what type of equipment failure do you have when there's a rattle sound followed by coolant pouring out the front of your engine around the water pump? Almost sounds like something failed mechanically in the pump which led to the leak. I'm guessing replacing whatever it is shouldn't be too difficult.

But then why did I lose power steering? Could coolant on the belt have caused that?

Last edited:

So now I've confirmed I def need to replace the water pump. I've got Oreilly's, zone, advance and quest close to me. Any particular brand pump I should go for? I'd like to at least get OE.

Ideally a new as opposed to a remanufactured pump, do not forget a gasket.
You lost lots of coolant SO perfect time to replace thermostat (use correct temp) look at those hoses. Maybe even a flush.

TIP's
When you get replacement visually compare impeller - direction ?
For T'stat place an aspirin to prop it open - great aid in purging air.

And yes the PS will slip with coolant on it - how does the belt look - perfect time for a change.

My 2cents 45 years wrenching.
I strongly suggest you shop local.
The wait, inspection, hands on, exchange, ADVICE, hints, gaskets accessories all weigh in favor of a professional parts store
my choice NAPA. You would be done tonight instead of waiting. Often tax = shipping so that argument is void.

You are correct in looking for OE and or OEM those were trade terms for original manufacturer (dealer) parts... BUT a problem lately as aftermarket has a line of parts under an OEM brand name - tricky bastads.

Rock auto has provided me correct parts. Just pick the OEM replacement or the ones with the heart ❤️ the Gates is one. None state OEM.

NAPA is a good source too.

Check your belt. Tensioner and idler pulley. A wet belt can slip and coolant is slippery.

Also check your clutch on the clutch fan.

The cost difference is in the 5yr warranty or the high flow design.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Last edited:

Napa is excellent and so is oriellys

Back