87 XJ won't start, HELP!

aemilehi

Hi,

I have an 87 XJ 4.0L FI with 113k on it. had to replace the alternator this summer because oil blew into it from my leak. I am putting in a quart every 1000 miles or so and I'm not terribly worried about it. Put in a new battery a week and 1/2 ago, beacuse old one was getting weak.

Had 2 days in a row that were below 0 for the high temp and on the second day, the ignition wouldn't switch over to lock, but all was shut off. It stopped somewhere between lock & acc, so since the switch has been broken since purchase, I wasn't terribly worried about it. (Broken meaning you didn't need a key to start, run & drive it, thank God for the Club, LOL!)

This morning, went out to fire her up, and all accs have power, radio comes on, internal lights, etc, but turn to start and click. Try again, click. Doesn't even try to crank.

I am thinking that this is probably indicative of needing to buy a new ignition switch, don't know if I should get that or an ignition lock cylinder or both.

The only other thing that I can think of is the neutral safety switch, though that would make less sense since the XJ was probably telling me something I ignored when the ignition wouldn't go all the way into lock.

Does this thought process make sense? Any other ideas, suggestions, etc, before I go to the parts store later this pm? Anything I can try that would narrow it down, if that needs to happen?

Thanks!
Alex

If I´m understanding right, you turn the key and hear the solenoid at the starter click, but it doesn´t crank.
A good test is to turn on the headlights and try and start, if the headlights dim, it´s usually a low battery. Sometimes the battery poles are dirty or loose and it doesn´t alllow enough juice through the connections to turn over the starter (acts like a low battery). Clean the battery poles and cable connectors good, 3M pad, steel wool or sand paper.
Make sure the cable at the starter is tight and the bolts for the starter are tight (ground). Check the battery ground, by the dipstick mount.
Usually when the ignition switch goes out, it shows up as an igintion problem. Not a starting problem. If it clicks at the starter solenoid, it´s getting power from the switch.
The lock cylinder messing up, is commom stuff, I´ve replaced half a dozen over the years. Have also had problems with the shift lever hanging (not going fully into park). Makes the key turn hard.
Weak/worn starter brushes are pretty common in old XJ´s. A sharp rap with a hammer on the back of the starter, will often give you a few more starts (re-seats the brushes). But the BFR isn´t a fix, just something to keep you going for a few days.
Don´t let that old XJ get away from you. Got to keep up with the maintenance. With only 113,000 on it, you could be driving it for another ten years, with a little care and repair.

Thanks for the ideas Mudderchuck -- the battery & cables were new about a week & 1/2 ago, and there was no click at the solenoid, it was the sound of electricity, but not getting to that part of the circuit, which is what lead me to the ignition or the neutral safety. Fantastic idea about the shifter not going all the way into park, the shifter on this *is* pretty sticky.

SO is at home, and has the battery disconnected, and apparently was prepping to take out the ignition lock cyl, when the metal housing (that the lock sits in, with the two metal tangs on it, he says the rabbit ear thing) broke into pieces. He thinks it was broken all along and finally totally gave way once he got into the column. He also thinks this is what was allowing the car to start, run & drive without a key, and what got buggered up in the cold, when the ignition would not turn all the way to lock.

New question, is this a part I can find at Napa? The is no junk yard within 30 miles, and it seems above and beyond to pay dealer prices on something like this. Is this a std thing, and I could just get any old "trim" piece? I'm starting the phone inquiries now.

Has anyone had something like this happen? I have owned all makes & models over the years and have yet to see anything like this happen. Damn kids had this XJ before me & thought it was "cool" that you didn't need a key to drive it. SIGH......

Thanks,
Alex(andra)

Also, can someone please give me instructions on removing the ignition lock cylinder? I have instructions about replacing the switch only.

The dealer says when I buy a new ignition lock cylinder from them (they can get it on monday at the earliest) it comes with this piece and the 2 closest junkyards don't have anything they are willing to break down. The dealer wants to charge me 64 bucks! Napa has the same cylinder without the trim piece for 17..........

Merged your two posts... makes it alot eaiser to help you when all the info is in one place :mrgreen:

I'd suggest you try to get any of the ignition switch components new rather than used since they're probably not something you want to have to change more than once...

-Nick :!:

my jeep has the same problem, if you pull the cover off of the shift indicator in the console, you can get to the cable which goes from the shifter to the lock mechanism. Mine just sticks when it is cold outside and the grease in the cable gets stiff. All i need to do is to give the cable a little push in and then i can work my ignition switch again.

Back