Jeep Died - Any Ideas?

numbrsevn

Today I drove my new (1990 4 cyl) Yj for the first time other than around the block or in my yard. I drove about 10 miles and it stalled. No Problem, I start it back up. It proceeds to be very difficult to keep running. I make it the final 100 yards to my destination and shut it off. It starts right back up. I tend to my business and when I try to pull out, it runs rough and is hard to keep running again. I make it about 1/4 mile and it shuts off and will only fire up and right back off. I see white smoke, so I get out and it is coming from under the jeep around the muffler area. I pop the hood and what I think is the oil pressure switch? has popped out. It sits on top of the engine toward the back. The front one looks like a pcv valve and the rear I assume is the oil pressure sender. Anyway, it was popped out and the 3" corruggated hose was off the air filter. I put those back on and it still wouldn't stay running. Just fire up and die immediately. A very nice guy stopped and gave me a ride home. I got in my truck and took 5 gallons of gas to my thirsty Jeep even though the fuel gauge was at about 1/8. The jeep fired right up and ran at high RPM (4000-5000) no problems. I drove it about 100 yards and shut it off and returned to my truck. When my wife gets home we are going to pick up the Jeep. I wish I would have tried to crank it before I added gas and after it cooled down, but I didn't. The Temp gauge never got above 200 so I don't think high temp was the problem. Sorry for the long post. Anyone have any ideas what my problem is / was? What are my chances of everything being ok now that i reconnected my loose "connections"? :?: :?: :?:

110,000 miles. Is this something that is going to happen anytime I try to drive it over 10 miles? The part that "plugs into" the rear of the valve cover, is that the intake vent?

Yeah. It was on top, in the rear of the valve cover. Do you think I might just have a PCV problem?

Yes. That could be a possability. Is the pcv valve on the 4cyl the kind that pushes into the valve cover thru a rubber gromet?

The hose on the rear of the valve cover to the aircleaner is the PCV line. It probably popped off because you have a collapsed or plugged vacuum line and the crankcase is building too much pressure. Make sure the vacuum line from the intake to the front of the valve cover is working properly by disconnecting it at the valve cover and checking for vacuum.

The stalling could be a fuel delivery problem, clogged filter, or bad gas. It could also be a bad catalytic converter, they will choke the engine after getting up to operating temperature.

If it is the kind that I am thinking of you can take it out and shake it to see if it is plugged up. A ball acts as a valve and should move freely. You will hear it if it moves. If not then you need a new one.

The stalling problem sounds like a clogged fuel filter. Possible a bad fuel pump, but you definatly have something else wrong too.

Thanks for the replies. The jeep is back home and all looks to be fine now, hopefully. I drove it to work and back with no problems whatsoever. I'm thinking maybe the fuel gauge doesn't work properly and I was just out of gas. The only thing I can think of as to why the vacuum line and air hose were disconnected is maybe the neighbors cat, or some other kind of animal was under my hood and pulled them off somehow. Much stranger things have happened. Neither has come off again, granted I've only driven it 50 miles. Time will tell. I'm ready for the trails!

It would be a good idea to change the fuel filter anyway. I had a problem that would only happen when the vehicle was hot. They are cheep and easy to replace.

Need Rotor help!!

Fuel gauge, yup, that sounds right. A freind of mine and I went to help out a good friend with her car(Chevy Cavalier.She got stuck right outside of town. It did the same thing you described. Fuel gauge was at half a tank, so we proceeded to troubleshoot her car. Checked for spark, checked to see if the fuel pump engaged, Changed the fuel filter, and nothing. Finally, I went under the car one more time, and I had somebody crank the car. I could definetely hear the pump working, but is was just spuddering inside there. Turns out her gas gauge went out, and she had no gas. I took out my 5 gallon container, and added some fuel, and she started right up. LOl, we felt so silly. We had taken out the air intake stuff so we could get to the fuel pressure valve on the engine, but we never did find it. Chevy sure has changed things.

Normally this would not have happened. Every time I fill up any of my vehicles, I always reset the trip meter. But, this being the first time I filled up the Jeep, I didn't know how many miles were driven on the tank of gas. From now on I will know when I need to fuel up. I am planning a full fluids, sensors, filters change this weekend so I will also know when it was all done and hopefully prevent another embarassing walk on the side of the highway. :oops: :wink: :roll:

Ignition Lock Rack

I've done the walk of shame more than once. Don't worry about it, just remember to pick-up the next poor guy you see doing it. I don't think my CJ gauge has ever worked right. I just write the mileage on my gas receipts when I fill-up. And never put in a partial tank full.

I always write down my mileage too. But I had not filled up the Jeep yet since I've owned it. Also I have since done some investigating under the hood and and the rubber hose coming from the intake vent to the air filter is not there, it is broken off on both ends and a small amount of oil is "sprayed" under the jeep when I drive it. It has been sitting in my driveway the past few days until it quits raining long enough to replace the hose. I believe on my YJ the PCV is in the front and the Intake vent is in the rear of the valve cover. Is this correct?

Yep, PCV valve is generally up front. I'd check out that entire PCV system. Blowby and inadequate Crankcase ventilation can be a real killer. Just picture all that sludge and crud building up, plugging your oil passages. From what I've read here and elsewhere on the web, and my personal experience, these engines are notorious for blowby.

Oh yeah. Some have suggested just leaving this hose disconnected to keep all that oil out of you aircleaner. It's my honest opinion that that's just a bad idea. It's best to make sure your PCV sytem is fully functional, and there by keeping the whole system sealed. That'll keep dirt/dust out when tube actually "sucks". That's actually what it's there for, to take fresh air into the crankcase. If all is well, that's how it should work.

I checked for suction at the pcv valve and there is lots of suction going on there. I also have checked all the pcv lines for blockage and cleared what little there was. They didn't look very bad at all, at least to me. I am now going to the parts store to see if they have the hose that goes from the air filter into the valve cover. If all else fails, I'll drag the guy outside and point and babble at the missing hose like the untrained monkey I am and maybe he will know what I need.

One thing to keep in mind is that the reason you get oil coming out that hose is because the pcv sys can't keep up with all the blowby. It typical of older engines, but I think jeeps are a little mor notorious for it. There could be a couple things going on. One, the manifold vacuum may be too low. This could be from leaky gaskets, or vacuum hoses that are cracked, or disconnected. Your cam and lifters could be getting a little weak too. This would reduce the vacuum, since the valves may not be opening as much as when new. Or it could be a combination of the two. A vacuum gauge can be a trusty tool for diagnosing these kinda problems. The instructions that come with, usually have good diagnoses guides.

Back