New radiator or fan to help cooling?

ndnatty

Okay folks. I need help in trying to decide if I need a new radiator or maybe just a fan shroud or electric cooling fan. I have already replaced the thermostat, water pump, and sensor and flushed the entire system out. My 304 V8 on my 79 cj-7 still gets too warm, at least I think. It doesn't peg the gauge, but it does ride just below it right above the green. Would a 3 or 4 row radiator do the trick? Maybe just a flexalite 575 fan? I don't have the fan shroud on there now, would that make that big of a difference? Thanks for your help. I need to get it cooling properly so I can take it on road trips! Hopefully TN next month!

My 304 runs about 195 with a 180 thermostat.
On a hot day working a hard trail going slow stepping over rocks & such it'll get up to 200 205 210.

I put twin 12" fans on it and it doesen't seem to help.
Oh, I have a stock radiator. A 4 row might help.

A flex fan might help, but hard mount it. Do not use any kind of a clutch
because.....
On a hot day you're working a hard trail going slow stepping over rocks & such you'll need all the air that fan can give...
this would be a most inopourtune time for that *&^%$# clutch to give out and leave your fan freewheeling.

Add electric(s) with a manual switch to over ride any thermostat your electric might come with.

~just trying to be prepared!

a shroud increases the vacuum that the fan pulls ..I.E. pulling more CFM's.
First I would take the ole ride down to a good local radiator shop and have them rod your core you might have a few rows plugged here..(cheap Fix)
A CJ radiator is alful small for a V-8.. we had a same problem with a trail buddy and he went with a 4 core alum. type... fixed it right up.. oh it was a Northstar motor in a scrambler...talk about a tight fit!

Yeah shrouds can make a real big difference. You could try adding a pusher fan as well as going clutchless on the fan you have. 4 rows typically aren't any more efficient than 3 row, kinda the misguided more is better thing. If you have the money I would suggest a dual core BeCool and a high flow water pump. I ran a BeCool on my cyclone 390ci/425hp no problems overheating in traffic during the 110 degree phoenix summer. If youre looking for cheap (and who isn't) then probably just have yours professionally flushed/rebuilt and then add a high flow water pump, shroud, and a pusher fan.

Thanks for the info folks. I saw that Quadratec has an aluminum 2 row radiator for $178 and a shroud for about $80 or so. I'm thinking of going this route, unless someone has info on the quality of this stuff??

for you guys who know cooling... if one was to install a pusher fan, and get rid of the clutch fan... just a pusher.... does the shroud still serve a purpose?

Before throwing any more money at it, verify that it is INDEED overheating and the gauge isn't just leading you astray! LBR

Back