eat_sleep_jeep is offline Senior Member
    I changed my oil today to find some metal scrapings in there. Very tiny metal scrapings but a good amount of them. What could this be from??

LGR
    LGR is offline Senior Member

mean green dual battery tray

i'm sure a small amount is normal for wear and tear. So long as its not chunks right?

LBR
    LBR is offline Senior Member
    No scrapings are allowed in a healthy engine! A slight metallic look is OK after a 3000-5000 mile oil change and is considered normal, but no "scrapings" - could be any number of internal areas - I don't know much about your particular engine, but I'm sure the 2.5L gurus will point you to the main problematic causes LBR
    Plant the wheelie bars and let the games begin

88Wrangles is offline Senior Member
    Change your oil a little sooner than normal, and check to see if there is more metal in there. If there is, you might want to check things out in your engine, or find a mechanic to take a little look at it.

LBR
    LBR is offline Senior Member
    It's also possible to send out a sample of your spent oil to a lab in your area to analyse it for type of metal shards - may give ya an idea of what part of the engine is giving way LBR
    Plant the wheelie bars and let the games begin

Snitty is offline Senior Member
    likely a bearing going bad.... have you gotten any coolany in your block that you know of? that can often eat away at bearings... or it could be cam/lifter material
    93 YJ 4.0
    Spring Over, 33x12.50 Mastercraft Courser M/T, High Flow Exhaust, Diamondplate Rear Bumper, Trimmed Flares, 6\" spotters

We, the Sovereign People of the Universe, wish to live in peace. We live among you, but we are not of you.

eat_sleep_jeep is offline Senior Member
    likely a bearing going bad.... have you gotten any coolany in your block that you know of? that can often eat away at bearings... or it could be cam/lifter material
    I'm not sure, I've never checked. Maybe I'll bring it to a garage and let them check it out. Thanks guys.