an soa story

currupt4130

VT Hokie
so where do i begin. well lets see, after learning what an soa is i was soon decided thats how i wanted to go with my jeep. yep i caught soa fever but now i have cured it. i started my soa last weekend by myself, did all the axle pulling, spring hanging and transfer case adapting alone, although my dad did decide to peek in and lend a hand from time to time, but besides that, i finally got my buddy over to help me set the perches on this bad boy and boy is it bad. i rolled it out of the shop today on some skyjacker 2 inch softrides, my old 33's and a front driveshaft that was maxed out. so now to totally complete my yj im waiting on rims for the 35's ive got at my house, and two driveshafts and shocks. i also need a bent drag link if anyone has one that might be nifty... but i will post pictures to let everyone see soon enough, o and i measured before and after on the bumper and before was 19 inches and after is 28.5 :D, its rather large.... and im a very happy 17 yr old

I feel like one of those know-it-all old guys that I used to make fun of for saying things like what I'm about to say, and if you saw what I was tooling around in at 17 you would probably flip me off and think I was the biggest hypocrite in the world.......but here goes anyway.

That is alot of height to combine with a 94" wheelbase and a driver with less than 2 years of seat time. BE CAREFUL

I subscribe to the same belief that a jeep should grow as the driver's experience grows, and not before.

i understand that im very high for a short wheelbase vehicle and i am careful with it, im still learning the characteristics of it and the way it handles, which is really wild, so i appreciate the warning

Bounty__Hunter said:
I subscribe to the same belief that a jeep should grow as the driver's experience grows, and not before.

I totally agree with bounty...My TJ went up 11" total...but I have had 4wd's for 20+ yrs and have owned this jeep since 97.......but even then....I am not a pro at this......bottom line...no matter how long you have been wheeling, mistakes happen...remember "SAFTY FIRST"
Be careful!!!!!!!

Aaaaaah, run the snot out of it!

Just kidding, enjoy it and we're still waiting for pics. Kudos to ya for doing it yourself!

Bounty__Hunter said:

How long should a driver wait. In your opinion.

I say at least 25- 30 actual trail rides, and not less then a year of ownership. IMO

But hom many stock Vehicles do you see on the trails, Not many.
So many people Lift it, then think there ready to hit the trails.
No matter how many times we say Drive it stock it never happens.

One more Wreck and I am selling Lil'bit!! Pics added

ive had the jeep for over a year and have been on many trail rides and in many tricky spots, although i do not claim to be an expert i do understand better than some how my jeep handles on and off road, i see lots of people think that they have to gun it to get up an obstacle when they have open difs, like me, but i learned quickly to take my time and use my spotter and momentum to an advantage. im already finding out certain quirks about it and learning the characteristics of an soa, ive always liked to be ahead of the game and thats where im headed. ill have pics up when i get my rims and rear drive shaft and shocks in.
im actually lowering it just a little by reconfiguring the spring packs and incorporating mainly stock leaves except the main leafs, this will allow me to run my 35's legally. and i appreciate all the opinions and critiscm about my move to go higher, i can always learn from other jeepers, which is a nice thing about being a jeeper, everyone else is always there to help out. thanks.
-sam

Sounds like you head's in the right place for such a young man. Good luck and happy muddin'!! Just be careful on the asphalt - that's where all the looney's are!

thanks mud4feet. but besides all the talk about maturity and driver ability, i flexed it out tonight behind a walmart to measure for shocks and man does it ever flex! i measured 32 inches between shock adapter bracket and shock mount on the axle. it was soooooo sexy!

Yeah, I think you are a little more mature than many at your age. "Squids" come at many experience levels.

Junkpile, that was funny. It's strange how age turns us into "Cautious men" eh?

Only thing I would add is that there is no real way to grow into a lifted vehicle. Most people don't do several intermediate lifts til it's "Big". It's too expensive. A guy with 20 years experience at 3" will still be a newbie at 9". Just drive cautiously like everyone suggests, and you'll be fine.

Wear your seat belt, and clean behind your ears. LOL :lol:

thanks for the faith mingez, and its true, it would be incredibly expensive to constantly upgrade a lift with numbers of trail rides or experience points, learning to drive this beast is gonna be a challenge, but it will definatley be good for me and im definatley driving more careful than ever.

People also say that the older you get, the harded it is to adjust to changes. So, in theory, it is better to get a big lift now since you would most likely get used to it really fast compared to if you were 50 and jumped up to the same lift!!

I'm also 18 and had a Jeep that had around 9 inches of lift. Now I've got a Chevy with 15" of lift.

great advice from all... my "modest" 4"lift is enuff for the jeep trails here outside Vegas, but I drive a semi locally delivering lumber and i see waaaay to much craziness in traffic... and believe it - the danger is on the street - the trails and the mud is a LOT safer
enjoy your toy, i'm on my second YJ and i have to say, i am a bit jealous!

yjs are the way to go man, longer wheel base than cj's better springs, all around better setup. not too complicated to deal with like the tj's and just an all around great jeep. i love my soa so far, i have some steering issues to work out but all i need is a bent drag link. i also had this crazy idea to install a front roll cage using the roll bar thats behind the seats, ive got an extra one and i wonder if i could make it fit and then link it together to the rear one....

Back