Jeep wont Start

west747

i am having some trouble getting my jeep started. here is the situation:

turn key to on position: lights and accessories work...but when i turn the key to start it nothing, not even a soldnod clicking.

so i get out the big screw driver and cross the soldnod's and the starter whirls but will not catch the fly wheel.

my question is 1) is this a battery related problem? (just bough a new one this spring) or is this wire related?

i dont know too much about wiring and would like to get this heep started so i can go wheeling. Does anybody have any idea? bad solnod, bad battery or bad wires, bad ignition?

i have tried everything i know and still cant get it started. Could really use some help or input on this..thanks chris west.

start with the easy stuff..... unhook and clean all connections to the starter and solenoid. Make surte you check the battery connections too. If you still hear no solenoid click its more than likely the culprit. You can get a replacement and do it yourself. they ren't that tough to replace.

took the starter out and cleaned all of the connections....even clean some of the connections on the relay box...still no clicking or starting....i can get it started if i cross the solinod now...i was crossing the wrong posts before...so a new soldnod would fix the problem? i was worried that the wires had come off the ignition but my volt gauge in the dash goes down when i try to start it....but it doesnt do any thing....

as you can prolly tell i suck with electrical componets....i really appreciate the help.. :oops:

If you can start it by jumping the solenoid (battery straight to starter), then its either a bad solenoid or something haywire between the ignition and your solenoid. Hope for the solenoid. Not sure what they will be for you, but it was about $8 for my CJ, and simple to put in. I would check to see if you get one of the small wires to the solenoid go from 0 to 12 V when you put the key in the start position. If that happens, then the wiring is probably good and the solenoid is probably bad. Good luck.

Back