Is the Webber really worth the bucks $$$

Tug-n-pull

YJ 4 banger I was thinking about buying a Webber carb, but will it be worth the money. The ads read well, but that is why they call em ads. Has anyone ever installed one? Did it give you a reasonable boost of power and or mileage? Thanks in advance for any and all help! Tug[addsig]

Doesn't the 4 banger have fuel injection? I didn't think that they made any 4 cyl YJs with carbs?

jim

85 CJ[addsig]

Yup I have a carb and it is a tiny little beast too. I have no real problem with it but if I can bolt on a bit more power I will. AMC 150 cub inch with a carb. looks like a sewing machine under the hood but really does me a good jop. 75 to 80 on the hwy and has never failed me off road. 20 plus mpg. Tug[addsig]

I had one installed on my AMC 258 (4.2l inline 6) rather than have my carb rebuilt, and I immediately noticed a significant power gain. Top speeds on highway used to max out at about 120km/h (if i was lucky) right now i can get it up to almost 140km/h, plus theres actualy enough pickup that i can PASS people on the highway when i need to.

Also, i noticed that the engine's power band now extends up to the high 3000's instead of hitting a brick wall at 3000.

The engine runs alot smoother in the low band rpms as well, which is what is most important if you're offroading at all. Seems to have a little more kick in the torque department.

I wouldnt mind seeing some dyno charts of this carb sometime.

Of course, if you got fuel injection on a 4 banger, and you want more power, you might just wanna consider an engine swap. [addsig]

I don't know what your according to is, but under my hood there is small carb. Did it come on it? I do not know it is 2nd hand! Is it suppost to be there? I do not know but it is there all the same. Will a Webber Carb be much better than a stock carb? That is the question? Thanks for the help folks. Later Tug[addsig]

Actually according to that link, there are 3 options of the 150i4

Multiport fuel injection, Throttle body fuel injection, and a 1bbl carburaor...

The 1bbl was introduced into the 84-86 cj-7's and the '87-90 yj's had the throttle body fuel injection.

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE> The 2.5L inline 4 (I4) engine used in Jeeps today was first introduced in '84 when Jeep was owned by AMC. Originally, the engine used a carburetor, later versions used throttle body fuel injection, and the current version uses multi-port fuel injection. The fuel induction has been the major change with this engine over the years. The 2.5L uses over head valves with hydraulic lifters and a cast iron block and cylinder head.

The current version of the 2.5L I4 engine uses multi-port fuel injection. This engine is the standard engine used in the Wrangler (TJ) and Cherokee (XJ). It was the standard engine in the Wrangler (YJ) since 1991. The XJ version of the 2.5L has a slightly higher output. </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

The throttle body fuel injection looks very similar to a carburator, so its easy to get them confused just by looking at them. If it is a throttle body, i believe you can get a throttle body spacer which is supposed to give you some gains. I don't understand how it works exactly, something to do with increasing the plennum....
image-missing.png

If for some reason it turns out that you DO have a carb in there, then i'm not sure if weber makes a 1bbl carburator for jeeps or not... If they did, i wouldnt expect too much out of it performacne wise. (My jeep engine has a 2bbl carb on it)

[addsig]

Hey thanks Chinard... I was pretty sure on that TBI thing.... But in response to your other question... Webber does make a carb for the older 2.5L. I did a search earlier on another board to try and find some info on it that I could relay, but I couldn't find anything.

jim

85 CJ[addsig]

Back