Buying a High mileage Jeep

sourceminer

Hello everyone I am a newbie looking into buying a 1994 YJ and would like to know some of the mechanical issues I will be up against being that it has 164,000 miles on it. Please let me know if there are any or what should look out for.

The Jeep itself was owned by a Student and is in very good shape. States he had the Exhaust manifold replaced because of a hole. I drove it and all gears shift no noises from coming from the transfer case transmission etc... It is a manual trans. seemed to be a little oil around the Bell housing but not dripping. I am buying it for 5000. I just want to know in the next 6 months what I may or should be saving up for. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

4 or 6 cylinder? Personally, I think both engines are very good as far as longevity, but people really rave about the I6 engines.

OK, sorry for the lack of info. Thanks for the quick replys as well! It is an I6 with new paint and new soft top. Blue Book gives me a 5000 dollar worth value for this Jeep.

RE: Short in Cig Lighter socket?

with that mileage i wouldn't spend more than $3000 no matter how nice it looks. in another 40,000 miles you will be replacing the rear main seal for starters (this is the source of the oil around the bell housing). When (if) was the clutch last replaced? You may be looking at a clutch before too long if it has not been touched recently.

A 94 YJ with that mileage has a $2800 trade in value (kbb.com). I'd base your purchase price on that, not resale value. add what a soft top & paint job would cost to trade in value... never pay resale value unless its mint.

just my .02 worth

RE: Stalls ,no spark

Thank you! great .02 worth. When I looked up Kbb.com I was looking at good condition with ac etc... and private seller cost. Not trade in value. How much do these items cost? Rear main seal, Clutch, etc...?

RE: Short in Cig Lighter socket?

sourceminer said:
How much do these items cost? Rear main seal, Clutch, etc...?

Alot. That is, if you have a mechanic do it. You might as well do the rear main seal and the clutch at the same time. The seal itself is under $15, the clutch disc is probably under $100 depending on where you get it. Labor would easily be $500. Personally, with an engine with that many miles, if I went to the trouble of replacing the rear main seal and clutch, I would just rebuild the engine and install a centerforce II. Not that just replacing the rear main seal is a bad idea, though.

Re: RE: Buying a High mileage Jeep

The price does sound a little steep to me too.

Also keep in mind the rear main seal and clutch aren't DEFINATLY going to go bad at any specific time. You could get lucky and go 500,000 before it needs anything....or get 1/2 a block down the street and everything blows up.

I paid $5000 for mine a year & a half ago, '95 YJ 4 banger 5 speed with 76,000 miles, brand spankin new bestop. We looked at tons of high milers, we even had some sales jockey tell me that if I know how to rebuild engines I should buy his '94 with 158,000 miles for $6800.

You might have to look around a bit & look at alot of junk but good deals are out there. This my friend is not one in my opinion.

I don't know guys :? It has a little to do with the location too I guess. I bought my TJ simply because I couldn't find a decent price on a decent YJ within 200 miles of me. The day I bought the TJ I was going there with the intention of looking at a 95 4.0 that they had with something like 116k miles on it. They were asking $7500. I gave up on a YJ right then and there and within an hour I was buying the TJ. I got a 4.0 99 TJ with AC, auto, new top, new tires, and 60-some thousand miles for $2500 more than they were asking for the ragged out 95 YJ.

RE: Re: RE: what is this??

I have not read all the posts, but once being in your position, I know whats up.
Mine had 200K when I took over. Be weary of the perpherals. Water pump, alt, fan clutch, radiator, heater core, head. i knew nothing about Jeeps when i bought it 4 years ago. 18 months into it I was rebuilding the motor, I had replaced all the above mentioned devices and was loving every bit of it. There are so many aftermarket parts out there for jeeps. They have dedicated industries soley for jeeps. Youll rarely be without a part, and probably be able to do it yourself. I should mention mine is an 87 YJ, - very easy to work on - like fixing a lawn mower, -not much to it. I have never had anyone work on it. Its so simple. I would recomend any mileage jeep to anyone. i love mine.

Awesome Just the post I was looking for! Yes LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION... If I were in any other state outside of California prices may be lower... But I live in this... never mind I don’t want to offend anyone...
I ended up buying that Jeep, I am replacing the Oil Pan, Heater Core, Water Pump, and radiator on Monday. I am also getting a 2.5 inch Procomp lift with Tires and Wheels on Wed. I have loved every bit of it as well. Just like you I have learned so much in the few days I have owned it. Thanks to these Forums and all the great people out there! Thanks everyone.

Another proud Jeep Owner!

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searc...NGLER&start_year=1981&end_year=2006&x=140&y=9

There's better deals out there, I was just worried about you getting something & having to rebuild it right off when you could easily spend the same money of a little more & drive something for awhile.

I don't agree totally with the easy as a lawnmower thing & if you've never done a rebuild at least get someone who's done it before help out. You need to know what you're doing there :wink:

But hey you got it, It's summer take that top & doors off & loose it in the garage for awhile. I'm sure all of us will do what we can to help out if you need it.

wrangler4meplease said:
I'm sure all of us will do what we can to help out if you need it.

Yeah, and judging from the amount of mods you're doing after only having it for 3 days or so, it would seem you have more money than you can handle at the moment. So, in order to do my part to help, you can buy a lift for my Jeep, too!! :D

Sure where do I send the check... (right). I will have to post some pics. Oh yeh and I did not go with the ProComp 2.5. I changed my mind and went Fabtech 3.5. So far so good ;-)

image-missing.png

I gusse he thought he had a roll cage?

thank goodness!!! too late to warn on the procomp.... had their 4" on my 91... looked good and worked great if you're looking for ZERO ARTICULATION!!!! g'luck w/your project! great toys to have!!!!

Back