transfer case issue

lovell33w

recently i toasted the NP231 transfer case in my yj. i wasn't able to find a direct replacement from the local junkyard, however, i did find an NP242. at first glance, the only major differences appeared to be an electronic speedometer (as opposed to my old mechanical one), and another sensor that i believe corresponded to lights in the dash for high and low. well the transfer case works fine, however i have this problem with it staying in 4 hi. the linkage can be stuck in 2 hi, but you can feel it when you try to turn. any help would be appreciated.

the 242 is a great case... and it does have 2wd... although it often does take some moving to get back into 2wd from 4wd.

another thing that could be happening... are you in a YJ? if so you might be in 2wd but having an axle disconnect issue. If you didn't switch the vacuum mode sensor with the electronic mode sensor, then the axle disconnect won't be functioning properly and will leave the front axle either locked or unlocked

The front axle could be staying locked in, but you wouldn't feel it with the stock open diff, only with a locker. Otherwise no power is going to the front in 2hi.

Keep in mind that your new transfer case has the additional 4full-time option, so you have more options. Does your YJ shifter allow you to engage every option?

I've heard some quirks with this transfer case, often requiring you to back up a certain distance when switching back to 2hi to get the transfer case to fully disengage.

I've installed a few 242s in place of 249s... they often do require backing up to disengage 4wd

if off road, the 242 can often be a little "quirkie" might pop in and out of 4wd with out notice, lots of guys pull their 242's out of their zj's and swap in a 231.

I appreciate all the help. right now i dont have the travel with the linkage to engage 4 low, but i'm working that issue. anyone who has used this tc before might be able to tell me which 4hi setting is which. all the way forward is 2hi (duh), first gear back is 4hi, second gear back is 4hi, the next one being neutral, and the final gear being 4low. i'm not sure which 4hi is the full time setting, the first or second one. thanks.

Last edited:
Back