D44 swap

jaymz77

My boss is giving me a Dana 44 front and rear axle to swap out my D35 and D30. I don't even know where to start on this project as most of my knowledge is in the engine department. I am assuming I probably need to lift my 1988 YJ as I am still using the stock suspension. How much lift will give me clearance for a D44 and does anyone know of a kit for this kind of project.

You don't need to lift it at all. What are the D44s out of? If they are out of a TJ (I assume they are out of a rubi?) then you will have to change the perches which can be done but could be a pain. Make sure the brake lines coincide with each other too.

Mail the axles to me and I'll put them under my jeep and give you a thorough write-up detailing the process and parts utilized, twelve 5x8 glossy photos (ten of the swap and two of me enjoying the axles), and a short movie of highlights from the process. :lol:

i plan on doing the same, my are 62.5" on my cj, which is 10" over stock. you'll probably need a longer drag link at least

I believe the axles are out of a Ford Bronco, I'll have to ask my boss to be sure. Anyway, this project is going to sit on the back burner for a little while until I finish my Vortec V6 swap. Plus, I removed the diff cover and the gears are pretty smashed. I wish I could do all of this as one project, but I'm a college student so I lack the time and money. Don't get me wrong though! I am greedy enough to hang on to these axles until I have the time and money. So don't expect a package of donated D44's to end up on your door step.:p

Last edited:

NCjeeper said:
i plan on doing the same, my are 62.5" on my cj, which is 10" over stock. you'll probably need a longer drag link at least

I assume you are talking about the wheel mouting surface length when you say 62.5" CJs have a 52.5" WMS to WMS? wow that's narrow! Jaymz77 doesn't have to worry about that though because the stock WMS to WMS length is 60" on YJs and TJs. One other thing you have to look for is the end yokes on the axles. Dunno what kind the bronco has on them but you may have to change them to hook up to your driveshafts.

Do the Broncos D44s have disk brakes all the way around?

Bronco's use a front d44 w/coils and a most have a ford 9". Either way our looking at quite a bit of work. IMO i'd sell those and go get a set of waggy axles from a 86'+. Your width on either is only a little wider, not a problem.

There's not much left on these axles. I think all I will be able to use is the housing on both. In a way I am glad, this will mean I get to do these axles right. I at least want to go with posi-traction in the rear and four wheel disc brakes. The width seems to be fine, a little longer than my D30 and 35. I've been helping a friend put D60 axles on his Durango so I think I have an idea of what this involves. The only problem is I won't be able to start this project until next fall when I have money again.

Back