YJ turns over, and over, and over, and over...

Joopin

Super Moderator

Yes I have another problem, not a big one but I think you guys could help.

The Jeep: 91 5spd 6cyl

The Prob: I go to start up the jeep and the engine turns over like 6 times before it starts up. It's not the battery, I just bought a new Optima Red Top which is awesome by the way. One mechanic told me that all jeeps do that. I'm sure they don't ALL do that, do they? There must be a way to fix it... I have a 67 mustang that starts up quicker than my jeep, it turns over 2 times, if that! Is there any way to solve this little dillema for a quicker start?? Thanks for the info![addsig]

is it cranking the engine over. (Trying to start)[addsig]

You may need a new fuel pump. When your fuel pump is starting to go you will lose pressure in your fuel line. It might take a few cranks to build that pressure back up. You can go to a mechanic and get your pump pressure tested for fairley cheap.[addsig]

A friend just had this problem and it was a bad coil. His was cracked. A bad distributor cap could also cause this. Definately the problem if it's worse when it rains or is otherwise damp. Time for a tuneup and replace all that.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

i dunno, sounds pretty chrysleresk to me, my old 2.5L used to turn over a few times even after i replaced a starter, batter, and fuel pump within a year...happy with my new chevy powerplant now...[addsig]

My 90' YJ in-6, 258 has the same problem. Sometimes I have to rev the engine while holding the starter moter until it finally fires up and holds. At other times the engine has to be completely cold for it to start. I've replaced plugs, wires, battery, ignition coil and cleaned, adjusted, rebuilt and fixed a metering rod cam in the carburetor. I replaced the starter motor yesterday and heard grinding. (I guess my flywheel needs to be replaced, and another new starter motor in a few weeks. Damn, I'm friggin' raging!) My engine, by the way has a worn cranskhaft and bearings and a bad timing chain.

Maybe it's an ignition switch or a new ignition module. The crankshaft has to overcome the viscosity of the oil, too in cold weather. Maybe a few turns of the shaft heats and softens the oil up and makes things easier to start.

I'm a real novice to all of this. These are just a few ideas[addsig]

I'm going to go with starter and or coil. My '95 YJ cranks for about 1 and a half seconds before it starts. Some cars are just like that. So you like the red top? I was looking at those batteries yesterday. I kinda liked them too.[addsig]

Thanks for the info guys, I will get right on it!

Oh and yes Optima batteries rule, the red top is sufficiant enough for extra lights, a winch, and anything else you can bolt on to your jeep... definately worth the money![addsig]

Back