Which speedo to buy?

tshearer

Hey guys,

I'm another newbie to all of this but am hooked for life. I recently bought an 89 YJ that has a Chevy 350 and Turbo 400 AT. I'm running it on 33" tires now on the stock D35 3.55s.

The problem is there is no speedo in it at all. I was pulled over last week and issued a warning so I figure it might be best to install a speedo.

Will a used YJ speedo work with the Chevy transmission or do I need a different one? Do I hook the speedo cable to the transmission or transfer case?

Thanks a million,
Tom

In stock form, the mechanical speedo of an '89 is hooked to the rear output of the transfer case. Which transfer case was used in your engine/transmission swap?

OK, I checked on the transfer case. It is a Chevy/GM 241C w/ 2.72 ratio. I saw where the speedo cable attaches as well. Does this mean I should go with a Chevy speedo and cable?

Thanks again,
Tom

A YJ speedo and speedo cable should hook right up to the 241. The only thing is that it will be a few mph off with the 33's. You can get replacement gears for the speedo drive or get the Truspeed from Superlift.

The truspeed would likely be for an electronic speedo, right? His '89 shoud be mechanical, and shoud plug into the 241c using the stock jeep parts.

Yes, Truspeed is for electronic speedo. Yours "should" be mechanical. You would use the Truspeed if you had a vehicle running EFI (TBI, TPI or Vortec 350's)which required use of the speed sensor for the ECM's calibration of the timing curve.

Back