Slip yoke eliminator

dorun_run

Well, I have been bidding my time on buying a slip yoke eliminator and slip drive shaft but I think I bent my rear drive shaft a little the last time I was out wheeling. I put the rear axle on stands and put the YJ in 3rd to inspect the drive shaft and it wobbles a bit at the center of the drive shaft so I guess it's time now. And so, to the point, does anyone have any advice on which products out there are the best quality and value? I was looking at the Novak slip yoke eliminator since it has 32 splines, some decent looking bearings and claims to make the NP231 the shortest of all other kits out there. Also looking for a good drive shaft. Any experienced advice or opinions?

This HD SYE from PORC is a good heavy duty 32spline kit for $180 shipped, one of the best prices you'll find.

If you want a decent setup on a budget, score a used front driveshaft from a TJ or XJ and have it shortened and balanced for the rear. Economical way to go for a CV rear driveshaft.

I've installed many a PORC SYE with no problems, it is a good kit.

Hey BH,
Thank you for the reply and so quickly too. Does the PORC SYE come with new brgs for the main shaft or does it use the existing brgs? Brgs is short for bearings. If one was to modify a front drive shaft for use in the rear wouldn't it have far less girth than one from Tom Woods or the like? I am doing this whole SYE thing because it was part of my original plan and I just bent my rear drive shaft with no signs of it having struck anything. The only thing I can think of as to how this would occur is binding of the u-joints due to the difference in height between the tail end of the transfer case and the forward end of the differential during axle movement. Also, it could be from sheer age of the drive shaft but I doubt it. So, my concern is to not bend another drive shaft. Thanx again.

Almost all the kits you're gonna buy are the same. The only differences are the super short ones really. The PORC one is a good deal. I've seen and installed several and you can't tell the difference b/w them and the pricier ones.

The only bearing included in any SYE is the rear output bearing.

After we put the 3 1/2 in lift on my jeep, I broke a few u-joints and the transfer case lowering kit was unattractive so it was time for the CV driveshaft. I've Had a Tom Wood's shaft on my 92 Wrangler for the past four years and have never had any problems with it. You can find them at www.4xshafts.com.

This HD SYE from PORC is a good heavy duty 32spline kit for $180 shipped, one of the best prices you'll find.

If you want a decent setup on a budget, score a used front driveshaft from a TJ or XJ and have it shortened and balanced for the rear. Economical way to go for a CV rear driveshaft.

I've installed many a PORC SYE with no problems, it is a good kit.

X2, the last time I ordered one they actually sent an Advanced Adapter's SYE because they were backed up. I also got a driveshaft from them, it was good quality with all Spicer parts. I want to say the whole shebang was just over 400 dollars.

Hey, guys, my bonus was a little better than expected, so along with the 4" RE standard lift, I am going to put in the SYE and shaft (and skip the TC drop). But I was wondering, since this is my daily driver, when I order the driveshaft, I understand I have to measure and then they make my shaft to the exact dimensions (at least that's what the people at Tom Woods told me when I called them some months back). How long do they ussually take to make a drive shaft? I ask because I will still need to get to work, and I'll have to share my wife's car during that time (and I dont think she'll go along for too long!).

By the way, I was thinking about a PORC SYE and Tom Woods shaft. What do you guys think? Good setup?

Felipe

The PORC sye and Woody shaft will be fine, but the Woody shafts aren't any better than a shortened CV front shaft. Woody's customer service is top notch though.

Depending on how far your work is, you can drive in front wheel drive while waiting for the rear shaft. You could likely have your shaft the same day if you can find a place to shorten/balance a front CV shaft locally.

Bounty,

Regarding the CV front shaft, I dont know any shops around here, so I prefer to rely on someone who alrady has a good reputation, so I know I wont have a shaft that's out of balance or anything... That's why I want to go with a woody shaft.

Just to make sure I understand correctly, I can remove the SY, install the PORC SYE, measure, and send the measurements to Tom Woods. Then, while waiting for the new shaft, I can drive in 4H (since there is no rear shaft, the Jeep will only have Front Wheel Drive) to work. Am I correct in my understanding? By the way, I work about 10 miles from work.

Also, from what I understand, installing the SYE takes only a couple of hours, right?

Felipe

Yes, only takes a couple hours if you've never done one. You can drive it in 4H, just take it easy.

Well, I have already ordered the PORC SYE kit (and the RE 4" Std lift), and I called Tom Woods and they said that if I take the measurements now, and tell them the lift and SYE kit I plan to install, they can compensate for that and make the shaft to match my ride. So I think I'll give that a shot (that way I dont have to drive for a week on FWD). They said that if for some reason the shaft shoulod not fit, I could send it back to them and they would correct it to the right measurements. Given their customer satisfaction reputation, I think I'll give that option a shot!

Felipe

Thanks! After this, it is lockers and gears (next bonus check, I guess!). I was thinking 4.88's and Ox locker in the rear, and an automatic locker in the front. By the way, how good are those electric lockers (EXTEC)? Are they worth it? Those I could use front and rear, I guess...

After the lockers and gears are in place, I just got to get the bumpers and rock sliders, then a winch, then the bigger tires, then a tire carrier, then the high flow cat and headers, then the air compressor, then the bigger alternator, then the cams and porting of the engine... Jeez, is there an end to this list??? I better cut ir here for now, or this will be THE BIGGEST POST EVER! (but I think you get the picture!).

Felipe

Back