jeepmastr1 is offline Junior Member

i am considering replacing my 258 with a 302. advance adapters has engine mounts and headers. i have a T150 trans and dana 20 transfer. my jeep is a 79 cj7 with a 4 inch suspension lift and 33 inch rubber. advance informs me the v8 will bolt right onto the transmission without any adapters. my concerns are will i need any other modifications? will the driveshafts work as they are? i realize i will have to fabricate exhaust. both engines are carburatored. any info would be appreciated. thanks
    Last edited by TerryMason; 12-20-2018 at 03:25 PM.

antman is offline Member

Check these guys out, they specalize in 5.0 swaps

http://www.zandm.com

Hope it helps.[addsig]

dingus is offline Senior Member

not to try to deter you from your quest, but i think most people swap small block chevy motors in; i don't see many ford swaps...[addsig]

jeepmaster is offline Senior Member

nice name jeepmastr1 !!!! and the same with me, ive not heard of any ford engine switches, a lotta chevy ones tho.[addsig]
    Summit County, Colorado - 96 XJ - Magnaflow exhaust, K & N filtercharger, H4 conversion, MT/R's on 767's, safari rack, hot blonde and an Australian Shepherd riding shotgun

BigBlackJeep is offline Senior Member

I also haven't seen any Ford swaps but a lot of Chevy swaps. I thought about it since I can also get my hands on a 302 HO from a late 60's mustang. I am all chevy when it comes to a V8 though, My Other Ride, so I don't know, hope it works for you and if it does let me know how hard it was to do. [addsig]

antman is offline Member

Isnt there a T5 behind those 5.0's ? I know its built stronger then the CJ's T5.

[addsig]

Quik8slvr is offline Senior Member

A ford swap shouldnt be any more difficult then my chevy swap, just be prepared for a big price tag, and a new set of axles if you've got a little to much lead in your foot.[addsig]

flyboy is offline Senior Member

I suggest calling advance adapters and talking to them. When I was considering a conversion to a v8 I emailed them from way up here in Canada and they called me within 5 min. I talked to them for about 1 1/2 hr. they were a great help. As well I'd recommend getting the advance book that explains the whole process[addsig]
    JEEPS SUCK, but I Love them!!
    J(ust)E(mpty)E(very)P(ocket)
    99 TJ Sahara Borla exhaust, 31X10.5 yokahoma
    Light bar with 4 lights

jprtroy is offline Senior Member

As mentioned above, chevy 350 are much more common. But if you already have the 302, well, your almost there. How much modification you'll need depends on how big your foot is! If your a "smart wheeler" and keep your foot "out of it" while wheeling you can probably get away with the stock running the gear. But once you start on that path of using the power from that little 302, look out! It'll be hard to Not use it. At that point, you'll need stronger axles, beefier drive lines, bigger brakes, bigger fuel tank, and heavy duty clutch. Not sure about the transmission, but the T/C can handle the power no problem.

Good luck, have fun!
    Last edited by TerryMason; 12-20-2018 at 03:27 PM.

chinard is offline Senior Member

I've been thinking about this as well, mostly due to the sheer amount of things in my jeep that are going to be needed to either upgraded or just plain replaced due to years of abuse.

I found this interesting knowledge base article that deals with engine swaps in older jeeps, particularly the small block chevy's and buick v8's

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge...buick_swap.htm[addsig]
    \'82 CJ-7 - AMC 258 -
    Mods: Weber Carb, Borla Catback, Juicebox TFI, 31\" BFG AT, Powermaster 150a alternator, H4 headlights, blazer heater motor conversion, WORKING gas gauge.
    Now with 80% less rust!!!

302 jeep is offline Junior Member

Re: jeep 258 to ford 302 swap

i have a 302 in mine and i love it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jeep 258 to ford 302 swap-2011-03-03_15-26-59_559.jpg  

superj is offline Senior Member

I prefer a 302 to a 350 because the power feels the same to me for a stock vs stock set up
    no more jeeps at this time. next time it will be a cj with a v8

black87yj is offline Senior Member

Re: 1048973

if it is truly a direct bolt up to your trans , possibly locating your motor mounts with the shafts hooked up will work. I put a mopar 360 in my 87 yj and used the stock 207 and stock shafts. just bolted it together and "mocked up" the mounts. no real huge costs involved at all IF your willing to do your homework and the labor ! have fun !
    Willy Mudd.slinger Fosbinder

superj is offline Senior Member

i say do it. there is a carb'd 302 for sale locally for 300 bucks that keeps calling my name
    no more jeeps at this time. next time it will be a cj with a v8

black87yj is offline Senior Member

Re: 1048973

Quote Originally Posted by black87yj View Post
    if it is truly a direct bolt up to your trans , possibly locating your motor mounts with the shafts hooked up will work. I put a mopar 360 in my 87 yj and used the stock 207 and stock shafts. just bolted it together and "mocked up" the mounts. no real huge costs involved at all IF your willing to do your homework and the labor ! have fun !
    ha on me ! just saw the thread date............
    Willy Mudd.slinger Fosbinder

JohnnyO is offline Senior Member

Chevy swaps are common because Chevy engines are common, and cheaper to build. A small block Ford is a good swap however because 1) the distributor is in the front of the engine and 2) it's a little bit smaller physically than a small block Chevy.
    Steeler Nation does not have to travel. We're already there.
    Formerly a '97 TJ 4-banger restoration project. My daughter's rig but I bought stuff and tinkered with it.