holy #%*! it's cold in here

Build a small fire in the backseat and wear a coat and gloves.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

About the only thing that I can think of would be to get a shroud to cover the air inlet that will help force air into the heater core. Other than that I have heard that the heater out of an old chevy truck will work in a Jeep and provide more than the 1 BTU that our heaters put out.....try a search on it- i will look around again and see if i can find the site again-

I know what you mean- its been a high of 10 this week, if we are lucky- with nights dippin close to -15!!!
image-missing.png
image-missing.png

The best thing i have found is start the Jeep about 10 minutes before you leave- this will at least keep the cold to a minimum....[addsig]

cardboard over about 1/2 of your grill and adjust from there. more to warm less to cool. I did this on my road tractor it workss just watch your temp and adjust accoringly. Tug[addsig]

My heater works so well after a few minutes after the Jeep has warmed up to normal operating temp. that I have to turn it off. I will admit that until it warms up it is a tid nippy but after that wow
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I agree with Jeepr89.

My heater could cook dinner.

Then again, it's supposed to be 80 here today.

So I guess we won't all understand.
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I'm running a '95 4-Banger with a hard top for the winter and the heater is burning me up. Have you flushed your cooling system in the last year?

Your heater core may need a back-flushing. Disconnect your heater hoses and hold a garden hose to it. Check to see if you got a good flow thru the core.

Another thing that comes to mind is your thermostat is stuck in the open position.[addsig]

I think I could deal with it just being cold, problem I have is that I can get it almost warm to a comfort level, but I keep finding new drafts that like to freeze various parts of the body. For instance, I usually have a right foot thats sweating, a left that's freezing. My left ear is fine, but my right ear is numb from a draft along the top of the windshield. But at 14 years old and 184000 miles, can I really complain too much?

One final note, as much as you hate to do it, do not turn on the heat until you see that temperature gauge start to climb. That way you are only blowing warm air, not cold.[addsig]

Unhook the hose that runs from the engine block (inlet) to the firewall and the other one (return) from the firewall to the block and run a hose thru it to flush it out. You might have some blockage in that part of the system. Inside there is the heater core (It is a small radiator that can get blocked by hard water deposits and/or age)..

Also check to see if there is anything blocking the airflow under the dash. Could be carpet or rubber mat.

Note: The two barbs that stick out of the firewall are actually the heater core unit.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I have a 91 YJ and up here in Northern Ontario it gets damn cold. I finally had the thermostat replaced with a good quality 195 unit. What a difference. Even with the very cold weather (-35C this morning) it easily heats up to the halfway mark on the guage. I believe the type I had in there was a faulty 180 unit.

Craig[addsig]

You bought a jeep, think of what a jeep is... Top comes off, doors come off, and also the windshield can fold down. Lission layer up.

[addsig]

I have that same problem i just wish i had a super high for a fan selecton instead of low which might as well be off medium which stinks and Hi that is joke but better than nothing[addsig]

YOUR BLOWER CAN BE REPLACED WITH A BLOWER MOTOR FROM AN 80 CHEVY.

THIS MOTOR PRODUCES MORE CFM'S. JUST HAVE TO TRIM YOUR HEATER BOX ABOUT 1/4 INCH[addsig]

Back