Dana 44 welded axles ?

GLAMIS77

I was talking to a jeep old timer,,,

he indicated that they welded the spider gears on a dana 44

and it makes it a posi,,,

any pros ( cheap) or cons out there ?

Please let me know

ruben

All Depends on what you do with you jeep.
here is a very good old film. But it will help understand why our jeep will not turn very well on the street with welded axles.

If its a Daily driver I would not weld the rear. Cant tell what jeep you have. Here is what I did in my cj5 & wifes yj. I welded the front, limited slip rear. Both jeeps are daily drivers. My jeeps drive like an full open diff with the front axle hubs off (cj5), or front axle disconnet (yj).

Welding the spiders doesn't make it a posi, posi is a term associated with a limited slip differential. Welded spiders behave the same as a spool, or more accurately a mini-spool.

I run spools front and rear in my daily driver YJ, ran welded diffs for years before I upgraded to heavier axles and spools. It's not for everybody but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Posi is a GM term for Limited slip. When you weld the spider gears you lock both rear shafts. No good on road. Best bet is to get a lunchbox locker.Don't be so cheap!

Thanks guys,,

i have 1943 wyllis dana 44 rear,, dana 25 front 538 gears

i was thinking just to weld the back , because the front would make somewhat hard to turn,,,,

with just back welded would it make hard an a daily driver ( i drive around town only )

thanks

ruben

Welded rear isn't too bad around town, just don't throw a lot of weight in the back of the jeep so the inside rear tire can chirp more easily around turns, something has to give and you want it to be the tire.

A welded rear will also make an old jeep track straight down the road better, just make sure it doesn't cover up worn steering components.

Thanks guys,,

i have 1943 wyllis dana 44 rear,, dana 25 front 538 gears

i was thinking just to weld the back , because the front would make somewhat hard to turn,,,,

with just back welded would it make hard an a daily driver ( i drive around town only )

thanks

ruben

Welded front will have NO CHANGE to the the steering IF the hubs are OFF My front is welded. I hop out of my jeep turn one or both hubs off, drive to town, and its all good. When Im ready to wheel again turn hubs back on. Its a poor boy selectable locker.

Back