CJ door handles

starrinth

How hard would it be to replace the odd file cabinet door handles that are on my 76 CJ nowq with some of the newer and easier to use paddle handles with strike pins?[addsig]

It might be a fluke, but a friend of mine has an 86 CJ-7 (pretty sure it's an 86) and it has the newer door handle stock, or at least he thinks it is stock. The topic came up recently since one broke on the inside and he can't find them, when I looked at his, it's more like a wrangler than my 79 CJ-7. I'd go check the junk yards for an 86 hardware if they are infact different, or go with wrangler doors, probably easier....[addsig]

Don't quote me on this but I think that the door handles changed from the levers to the paddles in 1983. All CJs from 83 on should have the paddle style handles stock.[addsig]

I fabbed two 2"X3" adjustable plates for the body of my 78 and mouted striker pins on them for 83 hard doors for winter. Takes about fifteen minutes to do the change over in the fall.

Theres a re-inforcement piece inside the 83ish tubs that you don't have so your body will be kind of weak. You could add it but that means exterior paint too.

I've run my set up for two winters now and have not cracked the tub ... yet...

[addsig]

Back