91 yj sputters

[]lllllll[]

I just finished rebuilding my 2.5 in my 91 yj about a month ago. when ever the engine is cold, It will start fine, but when i get it to 2500 rpm in second it will sputter for 2 seconds and recover. it will run fine the rest of the time. it seems like it hit an air pocket in my fuel line. Does anyone know whats up?[addsig]

Welcome and that is a great tag you got there. But what will we call you? As for your problem that is a new one on me! Hope some one here can help you with it. Good luck and again Welcome. Tug[addsig]

Does it always sputter every time you're up to 2500? What about in other gears? When you rebuilt the motor, what was the condition of the cyls? Any excessive carbon build-up in some?

Or, have you discovered what it was?

blue[addsig]

I'd check for a vacuum leak. Get a small LP torch and, with the valve on and no flame, move it around the intake manifold and vacuum lines while the engine is running. Keep it away from the throttle body opening, but the base is okay. When the idle goes up, you found your leak.[addsig]

[]lllllll[] I have the same problem with my jeep, it only seems to happen after a good rain. I am not sure if its water getting into something or what, but after it warms up it seems to be fine. :-? [addsig]

i changed the fuel filter and it stoped for a day, but started again. It seems to be getting worse, and it will cut out for about 3 seconds and backfire a little, but runfine after that. My engine took water and bent the conecting rod, and was alot of carbon in my engine so i bored it 60 over. I had a valve job done on it too. it will sputter whatever gear and at just about any rpms. Thanks, bounty, i'll try the lp torch. That might be it.

James[addsig]

I found that my vacumm conection to my intake where lose, so i tightened them up. The only time it does it now is when i'm excellerating hard. And it goes for longer. Do you think i have a computer failure? Thanks for all your help,

James[addsig]

Back