Smog equipment help needed

MikeS

I'm so happy, I just bought what I've always wanted, a Jeep. It is a 1981 CJ-5 with a 6 cylinder, 258. It needs work, but that's half the fun, right?

Could someone tell me what smog equipment is supposed to be on it? There is a smog pump, but no belt going to it, and it's not attached to anything. Also the catalytic converter is there. What else am I going to need to get to get it to pass smog?
image-missing.png

Any one have a pic under the hood of their Jeep on the web that might help?

Thanks for any replies and help, I really appreciate it.
[addsig]

A little late, I know. Congrats on your purchase. What state are you in? I'm sure your smog requirements are just a little different than mine out here in CA.

Typically, an EGR valve, Does the exhaust manifold have air tubes attached to each cylinder? Thats where the smog pump pumps the fresh air called "pulsed air"

My advice for you, is to save up some coins (a lot of them $1695 worth ) and get the Mopar Multi-port fuel injection kit from Koller Dodge (630)355-3411 and a borla header.

This combo will "blow away" any carb you my think about putting on, and the mopar kit is smog legal with the header. I know this because I installed both on my 82' CJ-5. That year of CJ was the guinney pig model for smog!. I knwe there was a 258 buried under all that crap under my hood, and it all wen't By By when I installed the kit.

Another option is to call a smog shop and ask them what's needed.

Good luck..

[addsig]

Back