D60 for TJ, where do I start?

prariepunk

I'm looking for a D60 for the front end of my TJ but where do I start? I know it's gotta be a Ford if I'm picking from junk yards but what years are best? How much work is there to make the steering jive? I'll be doing a long arm to the front & have a friend who is a professional welder who would be MORE than happy to weld for me... seriously, this guy is itching to get ahold of my Jeep!!! Or should I just save up my nickels & dimes for a complete D60 all boxed up & ready to bolt in (what fun is that?)

I researched & researched & found answers clear a mud... The 1st choice is the '78-'79 F-350 which is non existent :-( so the runner up is the '85-'91.5 F-350 but this has a diff further to the drivers side... Is this going to be too much of an issue for spring pad mounting? Since I can't afford too many mods at once I'm gonna have to set up the front for the stock TJ suspension & then later going to cool overs & a long arm...

I'm worried there isn't going to be though on the divers side to mount my spring cup

You don't need to limit yourself to just a ford 78-79 axle, with some effort anything will fit. I have a chevy D60 in my YJ. I simply got rid of the 231 and replaced it with a 231/300 doubler. You can do the same with just the D300 and have the correct output. The biggest issue with the 80's ford axles is the limited space on the drivers side for link attachments due to the 36" spring width, but it has and can be done. I think TnT has a weld on truss that will re-use the factory TJ suspension, might be another company, but they are out there.

Also do not discount the ball joint axles, specifically the superduty axles, the aftermarket is really starting to embrace them since they are now showing up in junk yards at reasonable prices. Sterling rear axles are also pretty stout and cheap to match the metric bolt pattern.

What I would avoid
anything 94+ dodge
D50 f250 axles
8 lug 10 bolts (pass diff)

I don't know how much you want to spend, but I'd personally save for a Dyntrac kit. That way you can get exactly what you want, it's clean and you don't have to worry about some bullshit that someone else may have done to it in the past. If I had the money I'd go with aftermarket front/rear 60s for sure.

Back