E brake sucks

mmello13

Does anyone else have a problem with their ebrake? My 07 was the same way. Even had it tightened and still doesn't have any hold when fully pulled. Doesn't even feel like it is pinching. Any ideas?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I use a brick under my tire so mine works great all the time. I have had too many issues with them sticking.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Jeepz.com mobile app

Mine don't even do that. I pull it all the way up and it doesn't even feel like it has any pressure behind.

Haha. It pulls all the way up with little to no resistance at all. And then I roll. After doing it about 4 or 5 times it will finally lock.

I don't often use the E brake on my jk but it always works when I do. Only issue I've ever had with it was when I replaced a cable bushing and had to pull the handle ALL the way up to remove the console - it was difficult to get it to release and go back down.

I had an issue off and on since 2015.
Choc the front tires and Jack the rear onto jack stands. Leave the trans in neutral.
First verify you have pad left and there is enough surface contact.
Grease all of the hardware contact points in the dust shield. In particular the lever that the cable attaches to at the dust cover. This lever should have smooth free movement.
Then adjust the E brake. With the brake on one click adjust each side until you have resistance while rocking the wheel back and forth. Only adjust at the wheels.
This should give you good brake at three clicks.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Last edited:

Ok thanks man. Definitely better advice than having my wife pull it lmao

Which way is your Jeep rolling when the E brake is on? E brake with drum brakes doesn't seem to hold if you are facing up a hill but will hold if you face down the hill. Not sure how the JK e brake cable system works. The TJ has a splitter box that goes from the one cable on the lever to then both rear brakes. I have had issues with both the cables stretching there is adjustment in the block.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Jeepz.com mobile app

It rolls both ways. Haven't gotten around to getting under it and adjusting it yet. Spent the weekend at the saco river. Hopefully Friday I can get under and adjust it

Tightened to some resistance it holds but still not til the lever is all the way up. No such meat is supposed to be on good e brake pads? Doesn't look like much is left to mine. Could be time for new pads. Haha

As I mentioned check the pad and how much area touches the inner drum area.

Did you tighten the brake with one click to some resistance?

You may need to tighten a bit more.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

It seems like if I go any further the screw that I'm turning is going to come out of the housing.

The screw is a spreader. It spreads the bottom of the pads. When you pull the brake it spreads the top.
Have you taken them apart to inspect?
Be sure to make sure the lever that the cable attaches to move freely. In my 05 tj this part moves like scissors but was frozen on mine. It needs to move smoothly.

Also there are a few areas the pad rides on the dust shield. They need to be smooth and lightly greased.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

13 rubicon correct?

Number 4 should move freely.
Number 3 should have the cable connected.

wranglerjkrearparkingbrakepartsjpgitokU6-1.jpg

13 rubicon correct?

Number 4 should move freely.
Number 3 should have the cable connected.

wranglerjkrearparkingbrakepartsjpgitokU6-1.jpg
No picture you have a link? My brake shoes are worn to shit. Almost nothing left. Bought new ones today but don't know anything about removing e brakes. Lol

Back