Tow Bar

GirlzJeep

Happy Friday all!

I have a very simple question for you experts and want to thank you in advance for your advice. I'm flying solo trying to maintain my '87 YJ (build with AMC 360). I'm no mechanic, but I teach physics.. so maybe I can figure out how to turn wrenches??

Here's my simple question: What tow bar should I buy in case "Wonky" leaves me stranded on the side of... wherever... someday?

She already has the hooks & attachments so I think I just need the tow bar and chains (or cords). I own a Dodge Ram 2500 and I have a CDL to haul horses (and drive school buses), so I'm not worried about the towing process. I do have to be concerned with expenses. Best for lowest price?

Thanks again!

A

So your talking about flat towing on a hard surface not recovery out in the trail.
Correct?
If so there are mounts on the frame you could add a triangular tow bar that fits onto a hitch. Many people use this for flat towing behind an RV.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Yes, that's exactly what I need. I'm wondering if one is better than others. Looks like some are made very cheaply. I don't want my precious YJ traveling down the road without a pilot if the tow bar defaults. I am also planning on towing her to the beach. No way I'm driving 50mph for 3+ hours in a wonky jeep.

When I get a bit more gutsy, or find a mentor, I will be in the market for a winch.

But, for now, flat towing. Brands?

Thank you!!

I would just buy whatever fits the brackets you already have.

The important aspect of flat-towing is to ensure the towbar angles down slightly from the Jeep to the truck.

I would just buy whatever fits the brackets you already have.

The important aspect of flat-towing is to ensure the towbar angles down slightly from the Jeep to the truck.

Good advice. Thank you.

I've also discovered that I need to have the transfer case in N and the transmission in 3rd or 4th gear while towing to keep the bearings lubed. So grateful I asked the experts before I burned up my precious YJ. I clearly have a lot to learn.

A

Transmission in first works too, just need it in gear. Remember to turn the ignition one click to unlock the steering wheel.

Back