HELP! Toad Jeep!

carverdave

I just got my first Jeep two weeks ago. I'm 51 and had a mid life crisis but you know, I don't know how I made it so long in life so long without one. I really like it so far, even though it didn't make it two weeks without major repairs. A 97 TJ with 45,000 clean miles but the radiator crapped out yesterday. Luckily I bought from a reputible dealer who gave me a free two month two thousand mile bumper to bumper warrantly. They picked up a $530 bill at the local radiator shop. It was only in the shop over night but boy I sure missed it.

Anyway, here's my question. I have been searching far and wide for an answer to towing a TJ behind a motorhome. I have a friend who towed a CJ for over 10,000 miles on a tow dolly and never had a problem. The manual explains how to set up the Jeep for towing behind an RV but then says to attach a tow bar. I called the local Jeep dealer and the person I talked to say there is no problem with towing them on a tow dolly. However, he did not sound real confident in his answer so I got onto the web on Jeeps website and got their customer service number. I called and after being put on hold for a while after I asked my question to a live body, I got the response, either four up or four down. No tow dollies allowed because of potential transfer case problems.

OK, so now my tow dolly is useless.

Does the Jeep customer service really know what they're talking about? If they do and I have to have four up or four down what kind of advice can I get? Can I get a cheap tow bar and attach it directly to the bumper? What about wiring for lights? Does anyone have any suggestions? And, what about some kind of braking mechanism? Is it necesssary and, if it is, what is recommended?

What about the option of four up? Any suggestions on trailers to haul the Jeep around on? I don't want something real big but I've been told I need at least two axles with brakes on both.

What do you think my options are folks?

Thanks! [addsig]

I have never towed my jeep but I would assume that you could shift the t-case into neutral and use a tow bar. As for lights I saw a set a couple weeks ago that are wireless and mount with magnets I think but I can't remember where I saw them. Oh yea welcome to the board. Evan[addsig]

i know on cjs you can put a warn Full floater kit in and flat tow one[addsig]

I bought a used towbar for my YJ and will be flat towing it. I have pulled a YJ on a dolly, shifting the transfer case into neutral, with no problems. I've asked around, and received the same mixed replies as you. Some say it's fine, some say never do it.

Last time I pulled my YJ on a dolly, I disconnected the rear driveshaft at the axle and tied it up. I'm sure you probably don't want to go through that trouble.

The TJ and YJ use basically the same 4wd system.[addsig]

You can do it both ways I have been doing it for years...... :-O :-O

first: If you use a tow bar shift the t-case into neautral, then disconect the battery and put the key in the ignition and turn where the steering wheel doesn't lock and the transmission in neautral....

second: if your useing a tow dolly the best way to do this even though it is a pain is disconect the rear drive shaft.....but you can also just put the t-case in neautral....and the transmission in neautral also....

HOPE THIS HELPS AND WELCOME../.. :roll: :roll: [addsig]

ok, This is three years of working as a honda service advisor talking.

When you tow your vehicle, no matter what wheels are touching from back or what ever. We reccomed as per honda to start the car at least every 1,000 miles and shift it thru all the gears. The reason is to get the lube thrown up into the gears. With vehicle such as the grand cherokee or the CRV in honda's case with the all-time 4wd, The transfer case may sense that the two back wheels are spinning and the fronts aren't, and it may try to compensate and spin the fronts or at least try. Yes it is far fetched but it may just stip out some gear in the tansfer case. We always told people with teh CRV's to do nothing less then 4 up.
My dad has a 98 zj ( i think that means grand cherokee...i dono) and he had a flat and was stuck using the mini-spare (it was bought a used car and someone switched out the full size) anyway driving down the road the all-time 4wd would sense that one wheel was going fast then the others and try to compensate and it would try and slow down the wheel with the donut on it. Which in tern made it damn near impossible to drive.

In the owners manaual on the CRV's it says that when the vehicle has to be towed by a tow truck to always go for a flat bed for the same reason.
I've been rasied/told that when towing a vehicle, you should always lift the drive wheels because of the lack of oil to the moving parts.

I personally am a firm beliver on 4 up towing on anything. It's just generally less wear/miles on your vehicle.

pinaplebob[addsig]

If I remember correctly, Jeep owners manuals say when flat-towing, transfer case in neutral and transmission in gear (manual) or park (auto). Correct me if I'm wrong, don't have access to an owner's manual right now.[addsig]

the only reason i ended up with a jeep was to pull it behind our motorhome.my 89 yj is stock 3048 lbs.not to heavy to tow with 4 down. i am a little concerned now that i have added a 4" suspension and 33 tires . i know how it rides and travels the road when i drive it. that is my concern , with a standard ball and coupler i am afraid the jeep is going to be a bear to pull. thats a plus for a towdolley. i am sure i dont want to load it on a railer. there is the extra equipment to take care of while on the road , with a trailer another set of axles, bearings , tires , tag, insurance ect.

my camper has the ford v-10 , i know it has the power to pull the jeep but dont want to push it with the weight of a trailer. there is a 5000 lb. weight limit on the camper and with my modifications on the jeep i would like to leave some weight to spare.

there are a lot of towbars on the market . iam leaning toward a little mor expensive one because of the wandering jeep.not sure i will be comfortable knowing the yj is back there wandering around hooked up with a ball and coupler. there are some that have both vertical and horizontal pin hookups.as for brakes i am not sure what to do .

i have pulled a railer with 4 bikes and 3 kayaks, but that was not a lot of weight and i built a long tongue because of the kayaks . didnt know it was there until it was time to turn around. so, iam not sure what to do . hope there will be more discussion about this . we arte planning a trip out west this summer and i have a lot to do. oh , and was told by my trusty mechanic that i would need to unhook the rear drive shaft , something about a seal in the rear of the transfer case . what about towing with limited slip and with lockers ?any thoughts ?odax......... :cool: [addsig]

Back