Clutch/Transmission problems

hi_c

89 Yj 2.5L AX-5

Lately, I've been having trouble shifting. Mostly around 2nd and 3rd gear. It seems like sometimes when I go to shift, I'm hitting something 1/2 way through that keeps me from going into gear. Is this my clutch or transmission? Other times, it works fine. Seems to be the most problem when in the middle of shifting and the RPMS are relatively high, like 2000. Yes, I take my foot off the gas while shifting. Any thoughts before I spend lots of $$? Thanks.

C
:-? [addsig]

It's the synchronizers going bad in the transmission. Change your gear oil before the transmission is completely shot, and you may get some more life out of it. Use a quality Synthetic like Redline MT90, it is specially formulated to be easy on the soft brass synchronizers and to improve shifting. GM Synchromesh is also acceptable, more readily available, but is not a synthetic.

Your problem is common, as Jeep incorrectly recommended GL5 rated gear oil in the owner's manuals. This oil is high in sulfer, which makes it very corrosive to the soft brass synchronizers in the transmission. Your problem is all too common, hopefully your shifting will improve with a gear oil change.

Read about MT90 hereRedline Oil
Buy it hereSummit Racing :-D [addsig]

Bounty,

I changed to the Pennzoil Synchromesh about a month ago. And it was like warm butter then. It seems like just this monday it started acting up. I did get in a little mud on the friday before, then had to let it sit over the weekend while I went out of town. But not 'over the bumper' mud. I'm gonna bleed the clutch fluid tonight and see how that fairs. Then I'll check the synchromesh fluid to make sure it's still clean. I feel like it might be a clutch issue. Just not sure.

C[addsig]

Hey Hi c is it hard to get into reverce at all? Can you pump up the clutch and it shift ezer? Mine did the same as you have described and it was my internal slave cylinder going and it got worse till no shit was ez any more. Good luck and hope it works out ez for you. tug[addsig]

Okay, slight chance it could be the slave, just sounded like synchros since it's not shifting smoothly between certain gears and at high rpms. Let us know.[addsig]

Thats what I was thinking. I'm currently in the process of fixing the same deal. Just got my new slave and clutch via UPS 5 minutes ago. Seems like the daimler chrysler guys have a remote that they press a button and all jeeps break down with the same problem. everyone around me has had the same clutch problem within 2 weeks. [addsig]

try bleeding the lines before you try anything... its much easier and cheaper.... if you can't diagnose a problem, and you must resort to trial and error, it is best to start with the least expensive attempts first[addsig]

Back