need even more help!!

burton

i wrote something earlier about my jeep not starting. before it would turn over but now it wont even turn over. We replaced the starter solenoid and have been testing the connections. There is juice getting from the battery to the solenoid but it wont even turn over now. My dash lights go on and i have also changed all the fuses in the box. If anyone has gone through this please help. And also i found a garage that only does jeeps and my friend took his cj there and now it runs strong so should i take it there and spend alittle $$ b/c i dont think i can do much more on my own. thanks[addsig]

damn i dont think it is but that could defiantely be a possibility, how exactly would i go about grounding it?[addsig]

It gets expensive fast changing parts and hoping to get lucky. Sooner or latter you will probably have a break down, in the middle of nowhere and it´s really better to learn your way around the Jeep in the driveway. One thing I´ve had some luck with, (is with a charged up battery) give the side of the starter a middle good wack with a hammer. If the brushes are worn or dirty this will sometimes help to get it turning over. If you have a trouble light (two wires and twelve volt bulb and holder). You can try the small wire on the back of the starter (solenoid)(the nut) to ground, when the key is turned to start. If you don´t get any light, either there is something wrong up wire or the ground isn´t good. If you do get a light it´s usally worn brushes or the starter is full of crud. [addsig]

You didn´t say which solenoid you changed. The little siver box about two inches long an inch wide and an inch deep. Usually mounted in the engine compartment along with a whole party pack of fuseable links. They rarley go bad, but do get full of water and corrosion. It´s sometimes mounted on the firewall, depending on model and year.[addsig]

to ground it.this is if the solenoid is on the fender.

well my body is fiberglass so i ran a 12gauge wire from the negitive post on the battary to a bolt holding the solenoid to the fender.from that bolt I also run a wire to the frame.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

ya i changed the starter solenoid and it is grounded but it still wont turn over but all my dash lights do go on.. any help will be great[addsig]

are we sure its a good solenoid??

new does not always mean good[addsig]

i have a 90 wrangler that seem to have the same problem you decribed. found out it was corroded battery cables.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back