Clearance Question

JeredYJ

Quick tire size question: I am about to install (within the next month) my 3.5" lift and need to purchase some good tires for mudding and off-roading. I am going with the Dunlop mud terrains (strictly because they're the least expensive mud tire I could find). My original plans included 32x11.5 BUT I would like to know if 33's would squeeze in there ok with enough articulation. I am willing to do a little fender flare trimming if need be. What do you all think? (and will the 33's fit on 15x8 wheels???)
Thanks MUCH. Jered

get a ruler out and look at an inch its not that much,with a 3.5", I would stick to what your original idea was. How much are the dunlaps you are getting?

Dunlop MT 33's rim width range is from 8.5"-11" so you wouldn't want to put them on 15X8's, however the 32's have a rim witdth range of 8"-10"

If you really want 33's on an 8" rim I would suggest BFG MT 33" X 10.5" R15, they'll look a little long and tall but they'll fit your rims and should help aleviate some of the possible fender contact

oleblue95yj said:
get a ruler out and look at an inch its not that much,with a 3.5", I would stick to what your original idea was. How much are the dunlaps you are getting?

thats true too, you actually only gain half an inch of ground clearance with the 33's, really isn't very much of a difference

Thanks, I didn't think about it that way. A half-inch of clearance isn't much so I'll stick with the 32's. I found a good deal at SAMS Club for those tires. I got quoted around 465 installed and out the door. I might even be able to do a little better than that because I know one of the guys who works there!
jered

Put those 12.5" wide tires on an 8" rim, that's the best setup to hold the bead and keep debris out from between the rim and tire. It's the most commonly used setup for those tires.

You won't be able to use the 33" with only 3.5" of lift on a YJ, you'll need to trim the fenders or install TJ flares or a body lift. I like the TJ flares, keeps the center of gravity lower while fitting larger tires.

Check the Kuhmo MT's, they are dirt cheap and a decent offroad tire.

I dunno, might keep a tight bead but going outside of the manufacturers tolerances can lead to problems later on, especially if the tires see a lot of highway time or when collecting on the warranty

Back