Steering and carb problem on my 1989 Jeep Wrangler YJ.

cynrod0907

Hi There,

I am new to the world of Jeeping and it's nice to be here :D .

I just got me a 1989 Jeep Wrangler 4X4, 6cyl, 5speed with 120,000 miles on it. It has the all Pro-Comp 4" lift, Extreme Alloy wheels and BFG big tires. It's in very well-kept condition by the previous owner. I really like it and I want to keep it for my toy.

I am also having problems with the steering and with the idling. I don't know if I can call them major or minor.

1st problem: There's a wide free-play on the steering and it's really a wide gap and when I am driving it over 30mph it starts to vibrates and it shakes. I changed the steering stabilizer shocks in which was worn-out and I checked the2 front shocks and they are okay. Is the wide free-play on the steering is making the vibrations and shaking? Is this has
something to do with the steering box?

2nd problem: It often dies and stalls when I slow down to make turns and when I slow down to make a stop or when I am at stop on a red light. I changed the fuel pump (the old one was leaking), fuel filter and the air filter. Is this a carburator problem or?

Please, I need you help and advice on this one as I really want to dive my Jeep.

Thanks, Cynrod0907

I don't have an answer for the steering, but try the nutter bypass on the carb. It should take care of those problems. Also make sure your ignition parts are in good shape, plugs wires, cap, rotor.

For the steering/shakes, I'd first get a tire balance/rotation and alignment. Also, check to see if the previous owner put on a dropped pitman arm with that lift. To verify, your tie rod should be parallel with your track bar. If it's not, you probably don't have the correct pitman arm and you need to get one that is dropped. You can find one here at the bottom http://www.hellcreeksuspensions.com/jeep_specials_page.htm

If all the above is in order, then I'd look for play in your tie rod ends. Look to your steering box last. Good luck.

C

ps. I have Fuel Injection and know too little to comment on carbuerators.

"It often dies and stalls when I slow down to make turns and when I slow down to make a stop or when I am at stop on a red light. I changed the fuel pump (the old one was leaking), fuel filter and the air filter. Is this a carburator problem or?"

Do you have the Carter BBL carb? Does your Alternator gauge show < 12 volts when you run at low RPM (like at a light)?

I agree with jay79cj7 on drilling the idle tubes...and if you have about $60 you can also improve your distributor and spark by upgrading to TFI...http://jeepz.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Howto&file=engine_tfi.

Mongo

Hello Guys,

Thanks to all of you on your fast friendly advices and I really appreciates that :) . I am off tomorrow from work and I will have the whole 2 days off to fix my '89 YJ.

Thanks and Regards, Rod

I did the carb today and yes,,,, it's fixed and running well. Stalling and dyng engine is all gone

As for my steering problem I have to do later. What are the causes of the steering wheel wide gap or free-play? Is this the steering gear box or? How I wish that I could fix this by monday to drive it to work and to do the Halloween night on it.

Thanks again and Regards, Rod

Back