emmission systems

I think the computer controlled carbs started in the early 80's. I think it's safe to refer to this system as On-Board POS.

Actually I think the acronyms for OBD-I and OBD-II are:

OBD-I Aka Out & Broken Diagnostic System
OBD-II Aka Overly B!tchy Diagnostic System

I'm really not sure when Jeep first used Computer controlled emmision systems. I think I remember reading that emmision control was first mandated by the government in 1970 or so. Computer controlled systems probably came into play in the late 70's - early 80's (I know that Cherokees had a primitave computer during their first model year - 1984).

Keep in mind the original computer systems were very simple and controlled very little. Probably one of the few things the first Jeep comuter systems did was monitor a single 02 sensor.

-Nick :!:

hey XJNICK, how good r u in electrical? bounty was saying that ur his electrical man, i was wonderin if u knew any companys that make specific harnesses to adapt engines ? lookin for a harness for a 98 360 that i can plug into my TJ for my swap....

how good r u in electrical

Well, I always do the best work I can and consider myself skilled in electrical work. I have and do do all my own electrical repair work on my Jeeps and always find myself engaged in some sort of electrical project (be it on the Jeeps, house, electronics, etc.)

I don't know of any places that sell wiring harnesses because I always just buy bulk wire and rewire what ever needs fixing from scratch. It's easy if you have some basic electrical knowledge and can take a step back and think why is that circuit there and what must it accomplish.

Even if you're able to find a complete wiring harness, you'll want wiring schematics for both engine set-ups, a multimeter, and some time. With automotive electrical work I've yet to see an "easy" way to make modifications or repairs.

well i got auto electrical repair knowledge but i just hate doing it and when it comes to a whole harness to make for a 360 i just dont know where to start hehe im going to do it if i need to but if i can get it pre made it would be a whole lot easier.

Get the engine harness with the 360, and adapt it to wire into the TJ. Hopefully everything on the 360 is labeled, as is the TJ when the engine is removed.

Two things I know little about, vehicle electrical, and carbs.

I can do some house electrical though, ran my own 220 with a GFI breaker for the hottub, and it works :shock: That 6ga. was a bear to work with.

That 6ga. was a bear to work with.

That's what I always say when working with 1/0 (one size larger than 0 gauge) wire!
image-missing.png

Back