DOOR HANDLE PROBLEMS

allabs5150

1987 YJ Well been deer hunting the past 2 weeks and my Jeep is one of the workhorses. Well first it was the drivers door pulled the latch from the outside and it pulled way back and stuck in position as if i was holding the latch open (if that makes sense) the door opens from the inside but not the outside if i pull the inside latch and work the outside latch i can get the outside latch to reset to its normal position. I have not had time to take the door apart yet but was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what i should look for if if anyone has had the same problem

ads

I had some trouble with my locks last winter. I would lock myself out of my own jeep all the time. I took the inside panel off and the metal plate covering the mechanisim, and cleaned all the grime out of there and sprayed everything I could reach with WD-40. I havn't had a problem since. Actually the bar attached to the lock needed to be tweeked but that doesn't apply to you. I hope this helps.

take your door panel off, look at the inside of the outer door handle. there is a metal piece that pushes against another metal piece that works the mechanism. The metal piece that does the pushing is bent, so it is slipping past the other metal piece instead of pushing it. Take something and push down on that metal piece to bend it back and you'll be in business. (really crappy design in my opinion)

Back