has anyone fixed the gauge problem?

JeepPunk03

I own a 89 YJ Wrangler Laredo(sp?) and i was wondering if ANYONE has figured out how to fix the gas gauge problem. Thanks[addsig]

What problem are you having?[addsig]

If you are referring to the gauge that stops at halfway or just totally stops

working, I had a 93 YJ that would go o.k. to about 1/4 tank, and then it

would stop. So I just had to guess at that point. I finally noticed that when

the tank was practically empty, you could hear the fuel pump running

and I knew that it was time to get gas.

As far the reason, I would like to know myself. My 99TJ so far hasn`t

had the same problem, yet. I always figured that it was just a dirty

connection or maybe a ground problem.

Good luck
image-missing.png
[addsig]

well i have two problems.

1) my fuel guage BOUNCES

2) its not accurate heh it doesnt read right. I had an empty tank and it was reading half(it died on me while trail riding the fields with my friend who has a 91 renegade)...sucked really bad)

so im hoping our family mechanic can fix it cause my mileage guage doesnt work either.

I am thinking that until i can get it fixed ill just tank up evert 2-3 days.

Well if anyone can offer some help please do.

I also have a problem with my signal lights. My emergency lights work but not my signals is that a burnt fuse?[addsig]

I have had the same problem with my fuel guage bouncing in my 88 wrangler, and I have had the fuel guage totally not work in an 87 wrangler I had. Both times I tore the dash apart, and took the flexible PC board off the back of the guages. It's one solid board that is flexible with holes in it for each guage. The guages have threads that stick out from the back and the flexible board attaches to the guage with a nut that holds the board to the to the guage. These connections between the board and the guage are all copper, or gold plated (I wasn't sure on mine cause they were dirty). Anyway, all I did was remove the nut off and remove the PC board, then I cleaned everything with a tooth brush and alcohol. I put it all back together making sure everything was tight, and both times it worked and my gas guage started functioning like it should.

Hope this helps[addsig]

I tried cleaning the contacts on my 93 YJ and it didn't help. I called a couple of places and they said it is a very common problem with YJ's that have gone off road. I've been told the problem is in the sending unit which is located inside the fuel tank. One guy at a place that deals in only jeeps told me he replaced his sending unit 3 time and it didn't help. I just reset my trip odometer every time I fill up and go by the milage. I have a Canadian jeep so mine is in kilometers....I get approx. 420 kilometers to a tank. It's actually a little more but my 31 inch tires have offset the milage. If you hear of a solution to the sending let me know. Thanks.[addsig]

I have the same problem on my 82 CJ-7. I guess that the mopar sending units are just built like crap.

Kinda makes me wonder if an aftermarket gas tank and sending unit might be a better alternative. I was thinking about going stainless anyways.

Anybody know if the aftermarket tanks/sending units are any more reliable?[addsig]

I have heard it is the float on the sending unit...that they are a plastic piece that fills up with fuel that render them useless,but i think this might be for CJ's only...[addsig]

Did the same thing Yellow YJ recommended and my gauges (90 YJ) have been working fine since. The gas gauge electricty goes through the gauge then to the sender then to ground. There is a miniscule amount of juice going through there, and logic tells me any connector that is dirty or corroded will probably affect the function. Changing the sending unit, is a giant pain, besides the distinct possibility of breaking more than repairing. I´d exhaust all other possible solutions before tackling it. On all of the YJ´s I have messed with, when the plug for the sender, back by the tank, is unplugged and the ignition is on, the needle goes all the way up (full). If the sending unit has an open circuit, it will always show full. If the float is leaking, it will always show empty, or if partially full of gas will work with a flaky reading (mostly a little to alot low). If the sending unit or the wiring is shorted it will show empty when full. If contacts (plugs or circuit strips) are dirty they often don´t go below half full and/or can show most anything at times (bumpy roads).[addsig]

Mine works some what but once it gets down to 1/4 it stops going down.So i have no idea how much i have to go before i run out.

<I also have a problem with my signal lights. My emergency lights work but not my signals is that a burnt fuse>

Look for the flasher relay. It should be on the fuse panel and round. There will probably be 2 of them. One is for the emergency flashers and one is for the turn signals. On my 87 it's the one on the right and has "Turn" with an arrow pointing to it.

As for the gas gauge, I tried the contact cleaning and it didn't help. Mine just bounces until it finally rests on the empty mark. Then I have about 50 miles until empty. It's not worth it to me to drop the tank for the sending unit.

Last edited:
hey beefy... just add fuel when at 1/4 tank and you'll NEVER run out! (and cheap(er) to fill too!) my wife runs her tank beyond empty all the time... i joke that i'm the only guy on the planet that will have to tear a dash apart to change a burnt out low fuel warning light cuz her's burned out! - i guess i'm lucky... my fuel ga. works on my old 89.... (knock wood) but i agree... check everything outside the tank b/4 pulling it... but if all else fails... use the odometer to keep track of the fuel... and just use common sense... better to consider 1/2 empty and refuel 10 gal at a time..

Hey Lah,

In my old Mustang I know that when I did something incredibly stupid and the emergency lights worked but the Blinkers didnt it was the turn signal wiring harness that I had to Replace... It may cost you about $100... Not too much more

Back