Brake stands

I think he means where you brake and try to get it up on the front wheels only - without rolling it... stupid thing to try if you ask me.

Brake stand.... is that the western version on a Power Brake? If it is then it's when you have one foot on the brake one on the gas until the rear drums brake loose and the tires start smokin without going anywhere. I think I tried it once with my jeep but there is no way there is enough power in my 4.0 to break loose those drum brakes with my meats on there. Not to mention that standards are always harder to do a power brake... though I've seen it done.

Brake stand / Power brake:
image-missing.png

I have had alot of fun with line-lock back in the day. Never with the jeep though.

I can do it in the mud and dirt but not on hard pavement. It's hard to motivate a set of 40" Boggers that are slowed by disc brakes. The 2wd low in the Atlas would probably help. I haven't tried it with the new case yet.

Redrooster, what kind of engine do you have? Just currious

Ha, my Jeep would just barily chirp the tires on pavement, and that was only if I dropped the clutch, with 31" mud tires!! I sure like the truck I traded it for though...An automatic, 44" TSL's, and all you have to do is floor it and the tires will keep spinning as long as you want them too (don't even have to power brake it). It's kind of funny though. In the smoke, if you look closely, you can see a whole bunch of little dollar signs...

graewulf said:
I think he means where you brake and try to get it up on the front wheels only
I thought that is what he meant too.

If I ever tipped either Jeep up on the front wheels, it would no doubt not be on purpose.

I power-braked my old Cutlass a few times when I was a kid.

I watched my buddy PB a Grand National on the day he graduated. Right there in front of our High School. It was a beautiful display of smoke, but not as beautiful as the expression our vice principal's face :lol:

Brake stand. Put one foot on the brake and one foot on the gas. If the vehicle has enough horsepower it will over power the rear brakes and begin to smoke the tires.

Turn you right foot sideways so your toes are pointing towards the passenger side. Press the brake with your heel and use your toes to regulate the gas. Rev it up and dump the clutch with your left foot and then move that foot to the brake pedal. Slide your right foot off the brake using the gas pedal as a pivot point for your foot so you don't let off the gas. Then grin.

It's basic for anybody who has tried it, but people ask me all the time "how do you power brake that stick shift?" Come on guys, I could boil the TSLs on my YJ if I power braked it. Just about ANY manual transmission Jeep can do a nice smokey burnout with a little proper clutch work. :wink:

Rear discs ruin the fun if you don't have a line-lock.

Sully said:
Brake stand. Put one foot on the brake and one foot on the gas. If the vehicle has enough horsepower it will over power the rear brakes and begin to smoke the tires.

That's called a power-brake on the east side of town. We called what Graewulf described a brake-stand, but that was on bikes not cars.

Funny how a few thousand miles changes all that.

i can do massive ones.. damn shame the 35's are so darn expensive

TwistedCopper said:
Sully said:

That's called a power-brake on the east side of town. We called what Graewulf described a brake-stand, but that was on bikes not cars.

Funny how a few thousand miles changes all that.

We call it power-braking here too, and I'm as far west as you can get. Brake stands are the same thing here too--we only do them on bikes though, never would try in one of MY cars!

Out east here we call that a good old fashioned brakestand. I smoked the tires so bad on my xj that the steel band of the tires started to poke through. Guess thats what happens when you rip off your rear brake lines while wheelin. Real linelock.
Maybe thats why my friends call me smokey

Back