I have a problem

jhiggins

Hi
The jeep is a 1988 wrangler laredo. It's in first gear and will not move. what do you guys think is wrong with it. i would like to know, so maybe i can get it fix and maybe this spring go mudding in it. Thank you
Cassi

Nice to hear from you Cassi. I hope you are well. Does it do anything at all in one of the other gears or is it just first gear that it doesn't move in?

Cant help but notice that Josh's sig says "NEED A TRANSMISSION FOR A 1988 4.2.... HELP", is this the same jeep?

RE: Regarding the Site...

yes same jeep, it does not move out of first. and i have no idea what a transmission is. thank you
cassi

RE: Thanks

Transmission=short for transmission, perhaps this is reason that he was looking for one... I got on here after Josh, but from what I have read, he sounds like a very fine person, wish I could have gotten to know him. At any rate, great to hear from you, I can, unfortunately offer no help regarding transmission issues, that's the one thing that my Grandpa would not touch, and therefore did not teach me about. He described automatic trans as a box of springs that flew all over the place when you opened it, so don't F*$k with it...

Best of luck, I know that our fellow Jeepers will have the answers, someday, I am sure I will too...

Especially with the way I drive mine :twisted:

RE: Re: Allen Bolt Wallered Out

heh same with my grandfather, owned a station for 40 years of his life yet wouldnt ever touch transmissions, i started to play with them and i understand why he said not to touich them

Hello Cassie, good to see your trying to get the old Jeep running again!

Since it needs a new transmission, it will probably be a pretty costly fix. Your cheapest option would be to find a used one (newspaper, junkyard) and have a mechanic you know install it (or find the one with the best price). Buying a brand new one would be alot of $$$. You might want to look into a rebuilt one, but they are not cheap either. The mechanic will probably recommend a new clutch too (a good suggestion).

If you get it running again, let us know. You can keep the replacement from burning up like the old one by using a special transmission oil. There was a mistake in the owner's manual and the shop manuals that called for the wrong oil, which is the reason so many of them have broken (like my old one :( )

Best of luck and keep us posted. Good to hear from you, hope you are well.

TC

RE: Re: RE: Do you heat with firewood?

Hello, Cassie, At first I though this was a old post all dug up, but good to hear from ya, hope the holidays did/are treating you well.

replacing the transmission your self would be the best and most cost effective way to repair this. If Imy memmory serves me correct, the syncros in joshs transmission were shot. you can go to a shop and have them repair it, but will be costly. I have a 5 spd if you want it, it is in rough shape, but finctional, unfortunatly I am in Boston...

Perhaps there is someone in texas that is on Jeepz that can offer you some assistance, I think deer hunter lives near by, but I do not want to offer his services for him.

Thanks for everything
the jeep is manual and i think it has a new clutch.

Re: RE: Wrangler Owners Beware

Cassi, sounds to me like you're going to have to start pricing new or rebuilt transmissions. If Josh was looking for a new one, it sounds like it is beyond repair.

Good Luck. :D

RE: Re: RE: Wrangler Owners Beware

yeah... you're gonna be shoppin for a transmission soon... i got mine for 300 on ebay a couple years back.. came with a bunch of parts

Back