Never owned a Jeep. Tell me why I should buy one

Sandhill2000

We're thinking about getting one. But which model? We've looked at the ES, X, Sport, Sahara, Rubicon. New or used? We live in Texas, it's pretty flat, so not much off roading, or at least not over huge boulders. It will be a second work vehicle mostly and weekend fun thing. Is the Rubicon overkill for what we'll use it for?

If we look at used ones, which ones seem to have held up better over the years and what problems should we particulary look for?

Hard top, or soft top? Anything else I need to know?

What do you all recommend for a first time owner. Oh yea, also - standard or auto? Thanks so much. MM

texas, soft top first of all. most of the time i'm sure you'll like to drive with it off anyways.

rubi would probably not be overkill, cause you could still do some pretty solid offroading in it. so, even though you dont plan on doing much, its there when you get the bug.

as far as new or used, you've gotta look at your needs. if you're considering new at all, i'm guessing you're willing to spend the money, a 97+ (TJ) is going to be a nicer/smoother everyday ride for the most part.

standard or auto is pretty much up to you, i personally think sticks are more fun to drive as long as you're not constantly in stop and go.

and you ask why? weekend fun and texas both equal top down. i drive a grand cherokee, but having driven convertibles, and the many wranglers i've ridden in, the open air is the only thing i'm jealous of. so why not?

and as far as different models go, its really what suits you. if you want extra amenities or whatever. you know the major difference in the rubicon already, so if you like that jump, go for it, otherwise its generally nit-picky things. but i would recommend the I-6 (4.0l). the gas difference isnt a whole lot, and you'll miss that extra *umph* with the 4-banger. plus, the 4.0 is a very reliable engine that jeep used in wranglers, cherokees, and grand cherokees.

good luck in your search. and most of all, if you buy used, get underneath, and make sure its not rusted out, being in texas you shouldnt have that problem, but just be safe. and in light of a recent thread on here, if you buy used, get it inspected before you buy it, but then, thats just common sense, and should go for any vehicle you buy, not just a jeep. happy hunting.

Based on your description of what activities you'll be doing, the Rubicon may be a bit overkill from the start. BUT...as many can attest...no matter what level of Jeep you buy you are going to add upgrades, modifications, etc...etc....etc....much to the chagrin of your spouse. What I'm trying to say is that the $5,000 you save on not going Rubicon will likely be back into the Jeep you do buy within a few years.

In my opinion though....
--Go with an X or a Sport. (use the money you save on the Rubicon to add your "personalized" touches later)
--Make sure you get a 6cyl (the mileage isn't much worse than the 4cyl and you'll be glad you have a bit more power)
--Soft top definitely! (if you want a hardtop, get a different vehicle)
--New or used...no matter. But, if used....have it checked out thoroughly. (rust, suspension, electrics, etc...you never know where a Jeep has been :)...or where it's going!!)
--I say manual transmission.

Last thought....if you have not driven one yet...do so (highway, traffic, cornering, rain, etc...). Jeeps are great but you have to be willing to accept it's mostly an off-road vehicle. I have many friends who have thought about getting a Jeep and after I take them for a trip they change their mind.

Good luck! Post pics after your purchase!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I don't know why they call this stuff hamburger helper. It does just fine by itself."

Q: why should you buy a jeep?

A: cause the only other capable offroad vehicle costs $100,000(H1) and $40,000 (Power Wagon) where as a out of the box bone stock jeep is damn capable!

You need to get something that will fit the life style you have. for example, If you like to have a fast vehicle, I would not even consider getting a 4 cyl.

Do you like pulling over in the rain and putting you top on, get a soft top.

If you do not plan on going off road, Don't get a rubi.

also, there is a huge cult following to these vehicles! and the owners are the nicest of the bunch!

Welcome to the wonderful word of jeeps! and enjoy being poor!

RE: leroy goes nuts...

just missed out on a 04 rubi in texas on ebay for 17,900. I'm sure there are alot more deals than that to. Especially in texas..

Take it from me, there is plenty of off roading in Texas. Moderate to extreme, reason you might not know about it is because up till now, you never had a 4 wheel drive, so you were't looking.

If you like the Rubi, get one, with so many options already on it from the factory, it's ready to go.

signing off from somewhere in Texas,

jps4jeep said:
also, there is a huge cult following to these vehicles! and the owners are the nicest of the bunch!

Welcome to the wonderful word of jeeps! and enjoy being poor!

Well put, well put!

Reasons to own a JEEP:

1) They are hella fun
2) You can always find something to work on!
3) Upgrades are limitless (how many other cars can you buy diamond plate doors for??)
4) They are hella fun
5) You can always find something to work on!
6) You don't need a vaccum to clean the inside, garden hose works fine!
7) You don't have to wash the outside, it can be dirty and it looks natural!
8) Chics (or your kids if you are out of "bachelorhood") dig them!
9) Mork and Mindy drove one, and they were cool, you want to be cool, don't you?
10) Once you own one, you don't have to think about where your tax refund is going to go, you KNOW!

My opinion:
4cyl is great around town, and certainly off road, 6cyl if you are highway bound alot.

Used is better. If you wheel it, you will ding it. Why lose $3K right off the lot when you can find a clean, somewhat modded already one for way cheaper.

Soft top all the way. Hard tops can be hard to store, and not easily installed by ones self. (nothing against you hard toppers out there!)

But no matter what, go with your gutt. Know what you want to get out of it and research. This is a great place to get ideas, see pics, and ask questions about what these machines can do.

Just because I'm always looking ahead; the Rubicon will give you a better return for your money when you resell.........if you can afford it.

.......or the Sport with the D44/30" wheel option is the only other I'd get. Hard top especially in TX because of the summer heat. Soft tops are fine in winter, I've use mine to about -15*. Sahara = over kill, TOO "luxurious".

Auto or Manual - up to you, either is fine.

Have fun,

There are a couple reasons I got my jeeps. The TJs came because I like heading off road and its the best convertable deal on the market. I got my Grand Cherokee because I lived up north and wanted a nice big vehicle capable of handling some nasty weather. If I lived in a moderate climate and didnt want anything to do with off-roading then I dont think a jeep is the best way to go. Think about what you actually want it for before buying...

Go to a Jeep dealer on the next warm sunny day, tell them you want to test drive a 6 cyl 5 speed soft top Wrangler. Drive one with the 30" tire package or drive a rubicon. Put the top down, take the doors off (okay the dealer won't let you but imagine they're off). The answers will come to mind. Wave back to the other Jeepers as they pass 'cause they will be waving to you.

Reasons to buy one:
Unstoppable
Cool factor to the nth degree
Chicks dig 'em
Awesome in the snow

Jeeps, like motorcycles, are not for everyone. If you really, really want one, no one needs to give you any reason - just go get it!! Compared to your typical Detroit (or overseas) product, they are noisy (I don't mind - I ride motorcyles, too), ride rough (not so much the TJ's, but I actually like the wife's YJ ride better), not very roomy (haul everything I ever need - if not, i've got a trailer), spartan interior (not so much the sissy TJ, but spartan is GOOD in my book - low maintenance), not real good on gas (who cares?), and can be very squirrely (careful about overcorrecting! I love the way the SWB handles).
For me, it was no decision at all - I've wanted one since I started driving - only took me 34 years to come to my senses. I have absolutely no regrets. I specifically wanted and bought an SE 4banger. I don't pass many people on the interstate, but I haven't had a speeding ticket in years, either. Off the pavement - NO problems ('cept I'd love to have lockers).

Ritt said:
Sahara = over kill, TOO "luxurious".

Hey now, watch it! :lol: Hell, the only thing more "luxurious" on my Sahara is the fancy painted fender flares, that I promptly scratched on my first outing. :? The inside is just the same ole Jeep as anyother TJ.

RE: I shimmie

If you like the Rubi, get one, with so many options already on it from the factory, it's ready to go

If you do get the rubi, I'm pretty sure they come with a Dana 44 rear axle option. Check this box. The Dana 35 it would have come with is not a great axle and it will bother you even more if you mod the Jeep in the future.

SenorCole86 said:
If you like the Rubi, get one, with so many options already on it from the factory, it's ready to go

If you do get the rubi, I'm pretty sure they come with a Dana 44 rear axle option...........................

The rubi comes with locked 44's front and rear stock

RE: I shimmie

SenorCole86 said:

If you do get the rubi, I'm pretty sure they come with a Dana 44 rear axle option. Check this box. The Dana 35 it would have come with is not a great axle and it will bother you even more if you mod the Jeep in the future.
All Rubicons have locked Dana 44 axles front and rear, with 4.11 gears ;)

Uh huh huh

The Rubicon also comes with 4:1 Tcase gearing, which is completely wrong for your stated uses. I'd skip the Rubi. Get a 4.0 with the D44 rear axle. Don't worry about what package or trim level or whatever......

I'd vote for a 4.0 91-95 YJ for your first Jeep if you aren't really sure about wanting one or not. Cheaper to buy than a TJ and solid YJs from those years will hold their value from now on out. YJs are perfect starter Jeeps, and they are plenty buildable when you get ready.

Sandhill2000 said:
New or used?

First of all, welcome to Jeepz!!! Always good to have a new member come on board.

There's not much I can add to what our audience of experts has listed except this:

Don't buy new!!! I have bought one new vehicle in my life, and will never do it again. Why? Money. Once you drive that "new" vehicle off the lot, it is already worth 15-20% less than you paid for it. Granted, a vehicle is not an investment (contrary to popular belief), but why spend the extra few thousand dollars? Find a good used one with low miles that has already depreciated that 20% and buy it. Trust me, I sold new cars at a Ford stealership, I know that of which I speak. Save those few thousand dollars for some mods (you know you're gonna get them eventually, right?). There's just no sense in buying a brand new vehicle unless you've got money to burn. If you've got money to burn, how 'bout sending some of it my way, I'll help ya burn it!! :wink:

Again, welcome to Jeepz, my friend!! :D

Back