Never owned a Jeep. Tell me why I should buy one

Based on these descriptions, which one would you guys be more interested in buying?
I haven’t looked at any of them yet. They’re all local.

1992 JEEP WRANGLER, Red, CD player, Security System, 6 cyl, 4.88 gear ratio, 5 speed, 33x 12.50 tires, never been off road, drives good, 125k miles, $4390, Red

1992 JEEP WRANGLER, Completely Restored, 5 speed, 40k miles on New V6 motor, New tires, New Radio & CD player, Have To See To Believe, $4950, Blue

1998 JEEP WRANGLER, 4x4, Black with Tan Hardtop, Clean interior, 6cyl, 5spd, A/C, PS, PB, Tilt, CD, Airbag, 112k miles, $5900, Black

motor swap

LadyGator said:
Rubi is overkill for the price.

That's funny :lol:

Up north, we call it the bare minimum. Try to price all of those items and doing the work/having it done, that is quite a value. Now, talk about turn around, that Rubicon will lose a lot less value that the cookie cutter Jeeps for flat lander's stock Jeeps.

Just my opinion :wink:

RE: 4.0L swap: What am I in for?

30yrheel said:
1992 JEEP WRANGLER, Completely Restored, 5 speed, 40k miles on New V6 motor, New tires, New Radio & CD player, Have To See To Believe, $4950, Blue

Completely restored? Did he even LOOK under the hood to see it's an INLINE 6?

The thing that got me to buy a wrangler:
Can buy almost anything for them, completely customizable, you can't beat driving around with no top or doors on a nice day...

Oh and 30yrheel, that 92 sounds nice, especially since it hasn't been offroad, but I'm curious what kind of lift it has on it. I bet $834.98 that it's a 3" body lift. If that's the case, Not good.

Welcome guys!
Joop

RE: SOA CJ7: too top heavy?

The ad was wrong, not a V6 he said. Supposedly his brother in law is a mechanic and helped him restore it, got to admit it has me intersested.
The 98 sold in 1 day, the 92 "never off road" owner didn't speak english very well.

30yrheel said:
1998 JEEP WRANGLER, 4x4, Black with Tan Hardtop, Clean interior, 6cyl, 5spd, A/C, PS, PB, Tilt, CD, Airbag, 112k miles, $5900, Black

I think the 98 is a much better deal if it's in good shape. You'll like the ride in coil springs and that's coming from a guy that's only owned leaf sprung Jeeps (and a Willys ;) ) except for my wife's Grand Cherokee.

Given a choice, 4 cyl. with 100 k miles or 6 cyl. with 160 k miles, which would you go for if the prices were close, not considering any other factors.

You would have to consider other factors to make that choice.

What year are they, what will the Jeep be used for, what kind of shape and what options are on the Jeeps...

I'd personally get the lower mileage one if you don't plan on modifying it too much. The 4 cyl is an excellent motor, you just won't win any races (not that you should be racing a Jeep anyhow).

Got new clutch in the mail. . .

Joopin said:
30yrheel said:

Completely restored? Did he even LOOK under the hood to see it's an INLINE 6?

The thing that got me to buy a wrangler:
Can buy almost anything for them, completely customizable, you can't beat driving around with no top or doors on a nice day...

Oh and 30yrheel, that 92 sounds nice, especially since it hasn't been offroad, but I'm curious what kind of lift it has on it. I bet $834.98 that it's a 3" body lift. If that's the case, Not good.

Welcome guys!
Joop

I drove the restored 92 today, VERY nice. Drives good, looks good. Engine looks good, inline 6, guy seems credible, but how can I tell if it's been restored for sure?

The beauty of a jeep is that you can alter it in ways that express your personal sense of art and creativity.

Attachments

• DSC00683.jpg
    DSC00683.jpg
    713.8 KB · Views: 62
The Rubicon also comes with 4:1 Tcase gearing, which is completely wrong for your stated uses. I'd skip the Rubi. Get a 4.0 with the D44 rear axle. Don't worry about what package or trim level or whatever......

I'd vote for a 4.0 91-95 YJ for your first Jeep if you aren't really sure about wanting one or not. Cheaper to buy than a TJ and solid YJs from those years will hold their value from now on out. YJs are perfect starter Jeeps, and they are plenty buildable when you get ready.

Best advice so far. Except, make it a 94-95 YJ

Back