New Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

jchooper12

I am really considering buying an 06 Wrangler Unlimited but and really concerned about the MPG. I spoke with a friend of mine and told me that there was somthing you can do to the intake and the throttle link to help increase the HP and get you some better MPG. What can be done. If I can squeeze a few more MPG out of the thing I might not mind it. 14mpg just sucks and I drive alot. I know this might not be the right vehical for me but I have always wanted one. Let me know, thanks.

Welcome to Jeepz!

What kind of fuel economy are you looking to get? If you drive it with economy in mind, the best you'll do with an Unlimited, even with mods, will still be under 20 mpg... maybe 18???

They are by no means econoboxes. Maybe consider a 6 speed manual 4 cyl Wrangler SE (not an unlimited). You could get a little over 20 mpg with one of those. At least you'll have a Jeep.

The other thing to consider is to get an economy car and get a Jeep as a toy if you can afford to insure both of them.

Yeah, I have the economy car already, Jetta TDI 36 in city 46 hwy but I can only have one or the other. I drive around 40miles a day so the gas will add up quickly. I am weighing this heavily in my decision. If I could get 18 in city driving that would be better than the indicated 14mpg that Jeep says the unlimited gets. If there is a way to get the mpg to that in the jeep I might feel better. Not sure if it is the right choice right now but I really want one.

I bought a 06 Jetta TDI because my lifted 2000 Cherokee was killing me in fuel costs, but I drive over 125 miles round trip each day commuting to work.

Then I bought a 91 Wrangler for a toy. The insurance on the Jeep is pretty cheap.

Hi. Just thought I would add my 2 cents here.. Now, I just got a Jeep about 2 months ago or so.... I had my share of trouble with it in these 2 months.. much frustration....BUT......I really love it. I think mine gets good mileage.. not what your car does, but hey.... do you wanna be super COOL cruisin' around in your Jeep....wavin' to other people.....havin' fun.....smilin'.... rockin' out to good tunes....feelin' the sun shinin' on you......yeah!....really enjoying the ride.... stoppin' a little more often for gas... OR do you want to just be getting from point A to B in your little Jetta?

Yes, it gets good mileage, but I feel like this... if you REALLY want one and you can afford to gas it up.....GO FOR IT! You never know when your number is up... enjoy your life.....go for the car that you turn around and take a second glance at when you are walking away from it in the parking lot......I remember when I first got mine.. I just couldn't stay away from it........I would just hang out in it... not really having anything to familiarize myself with inside it since they don't have anything in them!!! I just wanted to be with my Jeepy.... :p Life is about FUN and enjoying your time here. I say go for the Jeep.... even if you have to eat Frisky's or Alpo or whatever it takes , MAN!!!! You can get like 8 packs of that Ramen soup for like a buck on sale... HA! Okay, I am just kidding.. but you know what I mean. I would give up something else for my Jeep...no kidding...Or else keep your Jetta and get another Jeep that's not so expensive....get a beater.....you will love it no matter which one you choose. If I had to do it again I think I would have gotten an older Jeep...and kept this cushy old Explorer that I CAN'T GET THE HELL RID OF!!!!!!!!!!! I really like this one, but it's so nice that if I ever dented it up, I think I would cry. I want my hubby to take it off road with his buds, BUT... I don't want it all messed up! Maybe it's a chick thing.. don't know, no it's just that my payments are enough that I don't wanna beat it all up. I think you should keep that car with the killer mileage and get a beater Jeep... that is what I think... you MUST HAVE a Jeep, one way or another , though, trust me on that!!!!

TwistedCopper said:
Welcome to Jeepz!

You could get a little over 20 mpg with one of those. At least you'll have a Jeep.

I read this post and I HAD to laugh!! So funny and SO true....The "at least you will have a JEEP" line had me bustin' a gutt....:D

It was like sayin' "Dude, just do what you gotta do to get ANY Jeep"... it wasn't meant to be funny, but when you have a Jeep... it just sounds very funny.....8)
Like I said.. Friskies... Alpo.. whatever it takes, man!!! :purple:

Abutterfly said:
Like I said.. Friskies... Alpo.. whatever it takes, man!!! :purple:
Alpo has a better texture and taste...

Really when your thinking of a jeep, don't think its going to be econo box. Yes a Throttle body spacer, air intake and headers will improve your gas mileage.
Even changing the gears in your differentials will get you to that magical number of 20 MPG.

But lets really face the facts here, within a year your going to be looking for a lift, bigger tires, and want a 1100$ nose ornament (winch).
To put it frankly here your gas mileage is going to take a nose dive, about 4-5 miles better than a hummer. With all the mods I have done the best I can get is 16.6 MPG if I don't throw it into 4 low. After that...I have to resort to my second job to pay for the gas.

The road side sign guy.
P.S. I want to thank all of you who donate to me as I stand along side of the road begging for money.

I totally agree with Abutterfly (she had me laughing on that Alpo-thing, but being a cat person you can always throw in a few cans of Friskies).
Unless you really need the little added space that you would get in the Unlimited, I'd go for a another Jeep. The top is really-really hard for one person to put down alone. IMO.

haha, i am loving these replies. So, say I pulled back and bought one of the short jeeps, should I look at the Sport or X? Is there a big difference? I just really love the look of the unlimited.

Well............. I have a ' 04 Sport/Hard Top (for now, looking to get a soft top) and my B-I-L has a '06 X/soft top and I really can't see much difference from the female point of view.:rolleyes: The inside looks pretty much the same as mine. I guess the guys will have to get more technical. I know I'm not too crazy about the new look of the '07's.

The main difference would be rear axle/gearing, the X comes with a less beefy rear axle; however, if you don't plan on going over a 33" tire it shouldn't make much of a difference

Back