07 wrangler engine swap questions

Joesmith

So my 07 is finally in the shop getting a remanufactured engine put in.
Engine failure due to pushrod bearing going bad.
In the oil pan there was a lot of metal bits.

The re-manufactured engine doesn’t come with the timing cover/oil pump assembly.
The mechanic is telling me we shouldn’t re-use the old timing cover because metal bits could have gotten pulled into the oil channels and he isn’t sure if it can be cleaned thoroughly.

A new one is another $1200 I don’t really have.

So my question is, can I re-use the old timing chain cover/oil pump assembly?
Can it be cleared of any metal shavings that might have found there way in there?

Thanks for any info

I googled around - assuming I have the right part number, the mechanic's price looks correct:

I was thinking that it can't be that expensive, but sure enough it is.

I don't know the answer to your question, but personally, I'd hate to spend $10,000 on an engine replacement and have a $1200 part cause issues.

I googled around - assuming I have the right part number, the mechanic's price looks correct:

I was thinking that it can't be that expensive, but sure enough it is.

I don't know the answer to your question, but personally, I'd hate to spend $10,000 on an engine replacement and have a $1200 part cause issues.
Yeah it sucks. It’s very pricy I assume, because the oil pump is built in. But I’m already stretching myself on the replacement engine. And I know that there are kits for pulling the pump out of that cover and replacing that, and that seems like you could get in there and get it pretty well cleaned out.
And I’d be happier to pay for the labor to do that, than drop 1200 on a part I don’t really need.

But I’ve never tried to clean one out before so I’m not sure how bad it could be

Junkyard?

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson
The re manufactured engine place said they would void the warranty if I re use my old one, since there was metal bits all in there.

My mechanic and I are both calling around salvage yards locally to see what we can find.
He also said he may have found a place that remanufactures those timing covers, if we send them the old one.
I don’t want to get hosed on a warranty(which seems intentionally set up to hose)
So I am still open to suggestions or advice or direct info if anyone has gotten one of these before

Back