French-Irish War...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, this is a tight rope people are walking...Keep your balance! Don't fall, lest on one side we hurt people, or the other side where it's no fun to make fun of people.

(Personally I like a little making fun of people. Keeps people on their toes...)

p.s. I really don't mean anything disrespectful at all. I actually kind of like MOST people...

hold on! whats a wasp!?

White Anglo-Saxon Protestant............just another "label".........which seems to be quite prevalent here :( :( . Label me "hillbilly".........I'll wear the label proudly - y'all can attach any connotations you want to it.....I don't really care. I learned a long, long time ago that if you can't laugh at yourself, who the h*** can you laugh at?? I think it's pretty obvious that all of this BS is just personal sniping (it is obvious to me, anyway).

Hillbilly mud

Okay, so your ethnic slurs are completely justifiable and appropriate! Very elaborately defended :roll:

There is more than one theory as to the term "frog". No matter which one you choose, it is a derogatory reference to French people and considered offensive. It's no less offensive to a Frenchman than "wetback" would be to a Mexican.
No. You called me out as being hypocritical. I defended that by showing you why it's not hypocritical. I don't think everyone considers the term "Frog" derogatory. Since you obviously choose to read what you wish, re-read my comparison to the word "Yankee." Do you consider the word "Yankee" derogatory? Had the thread been about New Yorkers, and I posted "Damn Yankees" instead of "Damn Frogs" would you still have called me out?
It's not an ethnic slur it's a regional/nationalistic slur.

But if you're okay with it than it must be okay. I mean afterall... you're the liberal. What do I know :-|
What does this have to do with it? Somehow you want to use this as a way to slam liberals? That's a childish nonsensical tie-in. Typical, classically, textbook, TwistedCopper.
I think it's obvious to everyone your reaching for a reason to argue.
For example:
I think it's pretty obvious that all of this BS is just personal sniping (it is obvious to me, anyway).
It's transparent to everyone. Are you surprised?

(Personally I like a little making fun of people. Keeps people on their toes...)
I learned a long, long time ago that if you can't laugh at yourself, who the h*** can you laugh at??
I whole-heartedly agree.

how can one say that mexicans are the only illegals. Im not saying only the spanish(mexico, dr, pr) come here illegally. I know every nationality does it. But i think the DEPORT PEDRO takes a hit at the DR AND PR.
I'll agree with that. I mentioned Mexicans specifically because the slogan "Deport Pedro" is a play on the slogan "Vote for Pedro" from the movie "Napoleon Dynamite". If you've seen the movie, you'd know Pedro was from Mexico. Thats all I meant by that.

TC- if you wish to, we can continue this debate in PM form. That way we can be totally frank with each other, and spare the other board members of this continuous tiresome arguing. I don't mind it, but I'm sure they do.

Last edited:
Seriously, lock this thread up, this is not needed.

I admire your view, currupt.................get the same feelings lots of times.

I forgot to mention that we're also "tarheels" and, now, "coonasses"............and proud of it!....................my "tarheel/coonass" wife told me to say so!!!:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

hillbilly, tarheel, coonass, yankee, halfback, non-college-educated,
mud

Seriously, lock this thread up, this is not needed.

I can't. I only mod the XJ forum. BH and Sully (or Terry are the only ones that can lock this thread or delete it.)

I thought about it while walking my dog, and the bottom line is: "Perception is reality". So if this is offensive to anyone ( I'm going to delete the frog comment.)

So, since I can't lock the thread up, let's just all agree to let this one die.

Man, this is a tight rope people are walking...Keep your balance! Don't fall, lest on one side we hurt people, or the other side where it's no fun to make fun of people.

I guess we get to walk on eggshells from here on out. So, no more posting on this thread from here on out.

Last edited:
Okay, so your ethnic slurs are completely justifiable and appropriate! Very elaborately defended :roll:

There is more than one theory as to the term "frog". No matter which one you choose, it is a derogatory reference to French people and considered offensive. It's no less offensive to a Frenchman than "wetback" would be to a Mexican.

But if you're okay with it than it must be okay. I mean afterall... you're the liberal. What do I know :-|

If you want to take that stance, stir the pot, and make an arse of yourself, then so be it. But from now on, make no more references about any member of any race, country, religion, creed, or place of origin that doesn't state it in politically correct terms, and remove that "Deport Pedro" from your sigline. You may say I'm from Kansas, or I'm a Kansan, but no more references to Dorothy, Toto, flat lands, etc.

It only takes one rotten apple......:roll:

Wow...

So, I pop on the board for my usual update, and have become quite confused with a question...

How to put this, let me see...

How on earth, on this board of people, people from all walks of life, of different opinion, ideas, thoughts, values, and beliefs, who are able to peacefully co-exist and discuss matters calmly and rationally despite their differences, did an amusing joke about the French and the Irish turn into an accusation of someone being racist, and a poo-flinging e-battle?!?

As many of you know, I'm quite a bit Irish-Scottish... I took no offense to the stereotype that the Irish are portrayed as hanging out in a pub, considering farm equipment to be infantry, and making important decisions over pints of Guinness... It was a *joke*. Something to be taken lightly and laughed at... Is racism funny, no. There is a fine line between accepted terms in the vernacular, and racial slurs, which I do not think was crossed... Generally, these nicknames (not racial slurs) have a footing in past practice; limey was created because of British sailors drinking lime juice to prevent the scurvy, for example... If someone calls you a Yankee, for example, you don't go accusing them of being racist, it's a commonly accepted nickname for someone from the United States of America, or after the Civil War, someone living north of the Mason-Dixon line...

Accusing someone of being a racist is a very harsh thing, and had damn well better be backed by total, complete, and evident proof, because those are not idle words to be thrown around or taken lightly, not by any stretch of the imagination... It's arguements like this which, I am sure, have driven countless people away from this board, one of the few Jeep boards left which have not turned into a clique of the "in" crowd, where if you differ from their opinion, you are flamed off the board. It's happened to plenty of forums, one here in Michigan particularly which I used to frequent quite often. A healthy debate? Not a chance. Insult-flinging? Absolutely. Who needs it? I know, at least speaking for myself, that I don't need it here.

I think that everyone needs to *CALM DOWN!*, lighten up, and perhaps rethink some things that were said to others.

Wow...

So, I pop on the board for my usual update, and have become quite confused with a question...

How to put this, let me see...

How on earth, on this board of people, people from all walks of life, of different opinion, ideas, thoughts, values, and beliefs, who are able to peacefully co-exist and discuss matters calmly and rationally despite their differences, did an amusing joke about the French and the Irish turn into an accusation of someone being racist, and a poo-flinging e-battle?!?

As many of you know, I'm quite a bit Irish-Scottish... I took no offense to the stereotype that the Irish are portrayed as hanging out in a pub, considering farm equipment to be infantry, and making important decisions over pints of Guinness... It was a *joke*. Something to be taken lightly and laughed at... Is racism funny, no. There is a fine line between accepted terms in the vernacular, and racial slurs, which I do not think was crossed... Generally, these nicknames (not racial slurs) have a footing in past practice; limey was created because of British sailors drinking lime juice to prevent the scurvy, for example... If someone calls you a Yankee, for example, you don't go accusing them of being racist, it's a commonly accepted nickname for someone from the United States of America, or after the Civil War, someone living north of the Mason-Dixon line...

Accusing someone of being a racist is a very harsh thing, and had damn well better be backed by total, complete, and evident proof, because those are not idle words to be thrown around or taken lightly, not by any stretch of the imagination... It's arguements like this which, I am sure, have driven countless people away from this board, one of the few Jeep boards left which have not turned into a clique of the "in" crowd, where if you differ from their opinion, you are flamed off the board. It's happened to plenty of forums, one here in Michigan particularly which I used to frequent quite often. A healthy debate? Not a chance. Insult-flinging? Absolutely. Who needs it? I know, at least speaking for myself, that I don't need it here.

I think that everyone needs to *CALM DOWN!*, lighten up, and perhaps rethink some things that were said to others.

:agree:

What Mingez, Sparky, and Mud fail to see here is that I could care less who is offended by anyone's statements... especially mine.

The reason I got my "Irish" up is there were times before on this forum where Mingez complained about the terms "Jap" and also a hispanic reference. No big deal... they were deleted or edited and all was well. Mingez made it clear that the statements offended him. Fair enough...

My problem is if you want everyone else to cater to your sensitive side, then you (especially being a moderator) should maintain the same spirit on the board. You can't make them out to be bigoted and rude then do it yourself! I don't care what you think you know about the French, but I not only work with a Frenchman but my mother's father was 100% French. Again, the term doesn't bother me, but is a derogatory term and it's not the first time I've seen him use it and it was just as I said before... hypocritical.

Hypocracy from a Mod bothers me. Racial slurs themself, albeit they are really petty, don't offend me personally.

Mingez asked me to edit my posts. Nope. Not gonna do it. Not after all the other text is in here. I'm sure it's going to get deleted or locked anyway.

Say what you want about me, I could care less.

As for deporting Pedro, it's nothing more than a political statement about the need for our country do rid ourselves of the infestation of illegal immigrants. Yes, the majority of them are Mexicans. Some of them may be named Pedro. The D.P. logo is a play on the "Vote for Pedro" shirts and stickers from Napolean Dynomite :lol:

If anyone is truly offended by it then you shouldn't be here in the US anyway and I'm glad it offended you :lol:

Carry on and sorry I ruined your thread Cewtwo but if I see something needs to be said I'm gonna say it. Call it a good trait, call it a flaw... it's how I am.

Your "Deport Pedro" sigline does offend me. I work with many, many Mexicans, and I dated a few Mexicans in my day. Referring to Mexicans in general as Pedro is a slur, just as referring to blacks as Rastus or Toby. I don't care if it is a reference to Napoleon Dynamite, it's derogatory, and you can hide behind that frail excuse all you want. I'll ask you one time to remove that from your sigline before things get nasty again.

I see no reason for you to suddenly be Mr. PC, with the many aberrant thoughts and statements you've posted to these boards in the past other than to stir the pot and try to feel all righteous.

Guess it's time I took another vacation from what used to be my favorite message board. Saurian is right, it's crap like this that has driven many people away from the board. Seems like every couple of months, you've got to do something like this to get things inflamed or you're not happy. Thanks for ruining a perfectly good message board.:roll:

G'night and g'bye.

I see no reason for you to suddenly be Mr. PC,
Can you not read man?

I absolutely abhor political correctness. If Mingez had never made an issue of others' posts before this I never would have typed a single word about it. It's a simple matter of calling him up on something that I have seen him call others up on. It struck a nerve to see that.

It's

not

about

the

reference... Got it? If not I don't see how it could be stated any more plainly.

Last edited:

................I would take no offense, because I'm the one who chooses not to wear deodorant.

Dang!!!! Thought I was the only one! Glad to know I'm not alone.

Non-deodorant ("re-odorant") wearing,
mud

Mingez asked me to edit my posts. Nope. Not gonna do it. Not after all the other text is in here. I'm sure it's going to get deleted or locked anyway.

Say what you want about me, I could care less.
Actually, I deleted that PM, thinking better of it. I guess you got it anyway. That's fine. However instead of responding, you post on here that I "Asked you edit your posts." :roll:

I offered to continue this discussion by PM as well, as a courtesy to the others. Again no response. Good form! I applaud your refined sense of decency.

Nobody on this board is surprised I'm sure. :roll: Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back