Michael Vick, the Pit Bull fighter.

mingez

Okay. This crap is just ****ing me the hell off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! People are disgusting.

This isn't an animal rights thread...although I certainly believe they have rights, but this is a matter of right and wrong.

Michael Vick hasn't been prosecuted yet, but he's been caught red-handed. This man is below puke. He's the bacteria in puke. Nay, he's the junk bacteria refuses to consume.

Personally, I think they should just put him in a pit with the very pit bulls he fought and executed. (of which he executed 8 in one day)

Anyone who thinks dogfighting is a valid hobby, I'm sorry, you're an idiot. I don't believe in hell, but I certainly wish I did so I could sleep tonight knowing he's going to suffer.

If the Falcons don't just dump him now, they become my new most hated team in the NFL. (Still behind Dallas of course)

I know many don't believe the life of an animal to be equal to that of a man, but in this case I condone the chair. Somebody please cap this idiot!

On April 25, a search of the house owned by the Atlanta Falcons quarterback and inhabited by his cousin, Davon Boddie, uncovered drug paraphernalia and 66 dogs in the backyard. A search warrant affidavit said some of the dogs were in individual kennels and about 30 were tethered with “heavy logging-type chains” buried in the ground.

The chains allowed the dogs to get close to each other but not to have contact, one of myriad findings on the property that suggested a dogfighting operation.

Others included a rape stand, used to hold non-receptive dogs in place for mating; an electric treadmill modified to be used by dogs; a “pry bar” used to open the clamped-down mouths of dogs; and a bloodied piece of carpeting the authorities believe was used in dog fights. Carpeting gives dogs traction in a plywood fighting pit.

Here are some stories:
http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/sh...lumns/entries/2007/07/17/what_do_we_make.html
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2884063&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2895374

Last edited:

his ass needs to be kicked out of any proffessional sport team and left to dry up with no money. And folks, here are the people our kids look up to. Nice role models huh? Its happening more and more with these scumbags. They have millions of dollars coming in, but can't seem to keep on the straight and narrow. Can't wait to hear his excuse and BS story behind this one. Down with Vick

:x They seriously need to make an example out of him. I have a pit bull and I am constantly asked by people how I can own such a mean dog? Kids (teens) around town are seen walking with these animals with the big heavy chain collars to make them stronger and bulkier. I hate it! My dog is quite possible the nicest, most caring creature on the planet. If my wife sees a sad show on t.v. that makes her cry (Extreme Home Makeover etc.) this dog will come lay her head in her lap. Anyway, young people look to these famous people as examples of what to do to be cool and using dogs for fighting is most certainly not cool.

I gotta chime in here.

I think this guy should be dealt with under local laws and if found guilty he should be punished. It looks like he has been dog fighting, which is wrong in the eyes of the law.

Now about Pitt Bulls in general.
Pit Bulls kill people.

About 10 miles from here a 40 yr old lady was attacked by her own pit bull when she tried to break up a fight between her dog and another dog.
She had to have both arms amputated at the shoulder.

They have the potential to maim and kill humans far above that of other domestic breeds. Their heads look like a cinder block and when they start an attack, you just about have to kill them to stop. Pain to them just spurs them on, beat them with a ball bat and they just get more into it.

I don't like them as a breed, esp around kids and when I'm out in public and see one being walked around my kids, I am always ready to respond should something happen.

Now, do responsible owners have the right to own one?

yes

I have the right to own a 500 hp Corvette also, but my Corvette isn't going to kill someone on it's own without me driving it.

I have the right to own a gun, but my gun isn't going to kill someone with out me being involved in pulling the trigger.

So if you own a dog like that, that's your right. But you have the greater responsibility to keep the public safe from your dog. If a dog with that potential is unbalanced or has low esteem it can be uncontrollable by the most experienced owner.
Some pit owners think they are on a mission to change the publics perception of the breed and work to calm people about the "isolated" cases of attacks.
Don't waste your time on me. I don't like the breed and it's might right to be that way.
Make any comparison you want to about cars, guns, alcohol but none of those things kill people without a human being involved.

Pitt Bulls make a decision to attack on their own.

now...let the flaming start:flamethro

8) ouch.....I have been singed and must retaliate.

Pit bulls were not bred to be dog fighters in the beginning. Far back into history man had bred dogs for gripping large game like boar and bear. From these dogs developed the Butcher's Dog, or Bulldog. The bulldog was an animal from 35 to 80 pounds, long of leg, sturdy in body, athletic, with a strong head and muzzle. The pit bulls of today descend directly from these animals. Two factors contribute greatly to this breeds popularity among dog fighters. One is its ability to withstand pain and brute strength. The other factor is this animals desire to please its master is so strong that it won't stop at anything, including death, to please them. This is obviously a good trait to have if you want a dog that isn't going to just roll over and get attacked in a dog fight.
As for having a dog in an environment with children I can think of none better! We have several friends with children ranging in age from several months to 12 years old. When they come over our pit bull is their best friend and will not leave their side. The dogs ability to withstand pain that makes it such a great fighter is also one of the best reasons it is good with children. How many times have you seen a young child pull an animals tail or try to climb on its back and the dog snapped at them? I've seen my friends toddler hold my dogs tail as it dragged him around the backyard like being pulled behind a boat on an intertube and the dog never once showed aggression while the child is having the time of his life.
Ok.....I'm not going to say that all pit bulls are this good. We have had ours since she was a puppy and been able to show her nothing but love all her life. If you have a dog that has been abused or raised (notice I didn't say bred) to fight then there are obvious tempermant issues you must realize. By all means adopt this dog and show them a better life, but take caution with children and teach them to respect the animal.
You are all entitled to your opinions. I respect them and this is mine. I invite anyone to come to my house and I'll show you how a well mannered pit bull acts. The only thing you'd ever be in danger of is sheer exhaustion as she will play with you as long as you can stand it. :D

The flaming has begun:flamethro

.... If you have a dog that has been abused or raised (notice I didn't say bred) to fight then there are obvious tempermant issues you must realize. By all means adopt this dog and show them a better life, but take caution with children and teach them to respect the animal. .....
No, I'd rather leave a loaded shotgun sitting around the house, it would be safer:D

You are all entitled to your opinions. I respect them and this is mine. ......

The flaming has begun:flamethro

I totally respect your view and I knew you would have to respond.
I will never see the breed in general they way you look at your own dog.
But I do understand your relationship with your animal:D

and to get back to Mingez's topic, it looks like Vic and his dope-dealing cousins are going down on this one.

I gotta chime in here.

I think this guy should be dealt with under local laws and if found guilty he should be punished. It looks like he has been dog fighting, which is wrong in the eyes of the law.

Now about Pitt Bulls in general.
Pit Bulls kill people.

About 10 miles from here a 40 yr old lady was attacked by her own pit bull when she tried to break up a fight between her dog and another dog.
She had to have both arms amputated at the shoulder.

They have the potential to maim and kill humans far above that of other domestic breeds. Their heads look like a cinder block and when they start an attack, you just about have to kill them to stop. Pain to them just spurs them on, beat them with a ball bat and they just get more into it.

I don't like them as a breed, esp around kids and when I'm out in public and see one being walked around my kids, I am always ready to respond should something happen.

Now, do responsible owners have the right to own one?

yes

I have the right to own a 500 hp Corvette also, but my Corvette isn't going to kill someone on it's own without me driving it.

I have the right to own a gun, but my gun isn't going to kill someone with out me being involved in pulling the trigger.

So if you own a dog like that, that's your right. But you have the greater responsibility to keep the public safe from your dog. If a dog with that potential is unbalanced or has low esteem it can be uncontrollable by the most experienced owner.
Some pit owners think they are on a mission to change the publics perception of the breed and work to calm people about the "isolated" cases of attacks.
Don't waste your time on me. I don't like the breed and it's might right to be that way.
Make any comparison you want to about cars, guns, alcohol but none of those things kill people without a human being involved.

Pitt Bulls make a decision to attack on their own.

now...let the flaming start:flamethro
First off, I don't think there's any reason for anyone to flame you for that opinion, it's not a ridiculous contention. I also think your logic is pretty good in your agument. I respect your opinion, however I disagree somewhat.

But I do want to clarify, this thread is about Michael Vick who is a murderer of dogs, not really about whether Pits are or aren't dangerous. (Not that the subject isn't worthy of talking about) Whether they are dangerous or not, they don't deserve to be drowned or beaten to death for being a bad fighter.

Why I disagree:
I think Pit Bulls who are killers, do so largely due to human action. Just like "People" become killers as a result of human intervention. Are they more equipped to kill? Well, that's debatable.

They have stronger bites, true. But they aren't as strong as some breeds in other ways (Speed, Body strength, neck strength) and haven't as large a tooth as many dogs, such as Germans, Rots, etc. Pits are most lethal vs. other dogs, because their ergonomics are more suited to killing dogs, but other larger dogs are much more lethal to humans. And the "Locking Jaw" phenomenon is an urban myth.
The infamous locking jaw is a myth. The American Pit Bull Terrier and related breeds are physiologically no different from any other breed of dog. All dogs are from the same species and none have locking jaws. Dr. I Lehr Brisbin of the University of Georgia states, "To the best of our knowledge, there are no published scientific studies that would allow any meaningful comparison to be made of the biting power of various breeds of dogs. There are, moreover, compelling technical reasons why such data describing biting power in terms of 'pounds per square inch' can never be collected in a meaningful way. All figures describing biting power in such terms can be traced to either unfounded rumor or, in some cases, to newspaper articles with no foundation in factual data." Furthermore, Dr. Brisbin states, "The few studies which have been conducted of the structure of the skulls, mandibles and teeth of pit bulls show that, in proportion to their size, their jaw structure and thus its inferred functional morphology, is no different than that of any breed of dog. There is absolutely no evidence for the existence of any kind of 'locking mechanism' unique to the structure of the jaw and/or teeth of the American Pit Bull Terrier."

All large dogs are capable of killing. So, I say that an adult owner who owns a German Shepard has the same amount of responsibility of leashing, controlling, and knowing his dogs temperament. Attack dogs attack because their owners have trained them to be that way.

These stigmas go in cycles. Remember when the bad breed used to be a Doberman? Before that, it was the German Shepard.

Secondly, their viciousness is a myth. Pits have been proven (via something scientists...specifically zoologists... call "temperment tests".) that their temperament is less aggressive or vicious than the average dog.
It is reported on temperament tests conducted by the American Temperament Test Society that Pit Bulls had a passing rate of 82% or better -- compared to only 77% of the general dog population.
Some have other tests show Pits to be higher in temperment ratings, however non show them to be more aggressive than average.
Pit Bulls are one of the most stable people-friendly dogs in existence. The National Canine Temperament Testing Association tested 122 breeds, and Pit Bulls placed the 4th highest with a 95% passing rate!

So, the stats don't support any of the Pit Bull scare mythos. In order to ban Pits, one would have to ban all dogs that are potentially lethal. Where do we draw the line? Cocker spaniels? Collies? Chows?

Now here's where I agree with you 90. While I do think that humans are responsible for attacks in training, I do concede that any large breed can have an "episode" and maim or kill someone. Similarly to a gun, it's the owner's responsibility to control their dog.
I know what you're going to say, but guns don't kill people on their own, dogs do. I get it, but while a gun must have a trigger pulled, a dog owner must lose control of their dog in order for it to kill. In other words, the owner not having control, or a sufficient barrier controlling the dog is equivalent to pulling the trigger on a gun. That's where your human intervention causes a dog bite, by NOT controlling their dog.

But then you come to whether you should trust the average human to be responsible with their dog or not. I have a hard time trusting the average person out there with anything lethal be it a car, dog, gun, poison, drugs, whatever.

My personal experience is that I've never met a mean or vicious pit. In fact, they've all been sweet and very safe dogs.

In either case, using dogs (any breed) for dog fighting is putrid, disgusting behavior I think we all agree...fry that *******!

its all good, while we don't have to agree all the time, I figure if Vick wanted to breed fighters he picked the right breed.

#1 Vick is a thug and should pay for his crimes.
#2 Pit bulls might be great pets and so might a spitting cobra, but I don't want either moving in next door.
#3 Cocker Spaniels are the most likely dog to bite humans (can't site the source, but remember hearing it on the radio)
#4 The difference between getting attacked by a cocker spaniel and a pit bull is that the majority of humans can fend off a cocker.
#5 The Falcons suck.

So, the stats don't support any of the Pit Bull scare mythos.

here is the last thing I'll say about this topic and I know I hijacked your thread a little, forgive me.

The stats don't have to support what I know to be true.
I know that 3 humans have had limbs torn from their bodies in my county over the past two years, all from Pit Bulls. In that time frame, nobody else in the county was injured to that extent, or killed by any other dog breed.
I've tried them in my own court and found them guilty by association.
I won't let my kids around one, I don't care how loving they are.
Its just my own conclusion, I'll be the one who misses out on a loving dog/human relationship by not owning a Pit Bull... my loss

later...

#2 Pit bulls might be great pets and so might a spitting cobra, but I don't want either moving in next door.
#3 Cocker Spaniels are the most likely dog to bite humans (can't site the source, but remember hearing it on the radio)

Okay, so what about Chows, Great danes, Rots, German Shepards, and Dobermans. 3 of those dogs have a greater chance of attacking you and can kill you just as easy as a pit.

here is the last thing I'll say about this topic and I know I hijacked your thread a little, forgive me.

The stats don't have to support what I know to be true.
I know that 3 humans have had limbs torn from their bodies in my county over the past two years, all from Pit Bulls. In that time frame, nobody else in the county was injured to that extent, or killed by any other dog breed.
I've tried them in my own court and found them guilty by association.
I won't let my kids around one, I don't care how loving they are.
Its just my own conclusion, I'll be the one who misses out on a loving dog/human relationship by not owning a Pit Bull... my loss

later...

That's cool, and I'm okay with you making up your own mind. But I'm sure many people can say the same thing about a German Shepard in their specific town. But I'm not going to ban all German Shepards because of that one particular cluster of unfortunate incidents in one town.

No prob with the hijack, it's actually an interesting topic.

Thanks for your take on it though, I do respect that.

I suppose the fact that we all pretty much got going on the Pit Bull portion of the thread instead of Michael Vick just proves that we're an intelligent bunch of people that have debates about stuff that matters. The sad truth is that this guy will probably get away with what he's done with a slap on the wrist. The Falcons (if they're smart) will drop him from the roster and some other team that needs him will probably pick him up. They'll put the "we know what he did and we've agreed to help him with his problem if he'll help us win a few" spin on it and he'll be a hero again. Albeit a lesser paid one, but one nonetheless.

I too didn't mean to hijack the thread, but this is one subject I am passionate about. I also forgot to mention that my other dog is a mutt. She's a Chow/Rottweiler/Shephard mix as near as we can tell. I would say I have the viscious dog corner monopolized! Although, she's quite possibly the biggest weeny I've ever seen. She barks big, but as soon as she sees someone she doesn't know shes hiding in the farthest corner of the yard.

:funny:

Attachments

• DSC_8296small.jpg
    DSC_8296small.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 418
Last edited:
Many dogs are dangerous, but the pit is right at the top. Number one in actual bites is either the shep or rott, not sure currently, but maiming and death is the pit. Before anyone runs out to buy any dog remember this, if you ever plan to move overseas, it better not be a pitt and a few others because they are not allowed in most european countries now. Give that some thought. I have seen some well mannered pitts, but its hard to break their cycle when they come from fighting stock, that's why many pups are euthanized if they are confiscated during a raid on dog fighters. It's unfortunate for the breed and we as humans have caused it and we have caused many poor traits in dogs due to irresponsible breeding. A rott should not be 150 lbs and have dysplastic hips, a pitt should not be mean, a maltese teeth should not fall out at age 2, etc.

maybe Michael Vick's teeth will fall out:purple: :purple: :purple:

I suppose the fact that we all pretty much got going on the Pit Bull portion of the thread instead of Michael Vick just proves that we're an intelligent bunch of people that have debates about stuff that matters. The sad truth is that this guy will probably get away with what he's done with a slap on the wrist. The Falcons (if they're smart) will drop him from the roster and some other team that needs him will probably pick him up. They'll put the "we know what he did and we've agreed to help him with his problem if he'll help us win a few" spin on it and he'll be a hero again. Albeit a lesser paid one, but one nonetheless.

I too didn't mean to hijack the thread, but this is one subject I am passionate about. I also forgot to mention that my other dog is a mutt. She's a Chow/Rottweiler/Shephard mix as near as we can tell. I would say I have the viscious dog corner monopolized! Although, she's quite possibly the biggest weeny I've ever seen. She barks big, but as soon as she sees someone she doesn't know shes hiding in the farthest corner of the yard.

:funny:
Those are two adorable dogs!!! Chow/Rott/Shepard? According to the dangerous dog data bank your dog should be a mass murderer! :lol:

Maybe they just cancel each other out.

Gonna have to agree with JeepMonkey on this one, as far as him walking with just a slap on the wrist... Comes with the fame... Paris Hilton, as an example... If I did what she did, I'd have my license cut up, be sent to jail, and thousands of dollars added up between fines, court, and treatment costs imposed upon me by the Secretary of State. Yes, she went to jail... For less than half her sentence. Her lawyer's going on about her being singled out because she's a celebrity... Yes, she was singled out, and given special treatment, must be nice... Same standard, unfortunately, is probably going to apply. He's a football player, which means that it's ingrained in our heads that we look up to him... He's got money, which means he can pay more for a lawyer than I'll make in a lifetime. And I'm sure he'll get the good old "this is only being publicized so much because he's a high-profile person" defense, getting off with a slap on the wrist (when you make 20 million a year or so, a $500,000 fine really is a slap on the wrist)... I am just about sick to death of the false idols of society feeling this sense of entitlement that they can do whatever they well please, with no threat of any serious recourse, because there is none...

And on a side note, they ran this story on Fox 2 News Morning... Alan, Fanchon, and Kam were mortified... It's not often that you see a professional newscaster skip not just a beat, but several over a story.

I'm not sure Mike will slide on this one like Paris did, there is one big difference that people are already playing up, it's the difference in night and day.

Back