Put the New Bumper on Today

Had another productive day, not like my usual Sundays of sitting in front of the boob tube watching racing with my dog. Sonya the Wonder Dog woke me up at 5:30am and I couldn't get back to sleep, so I started sanding and cleaning up the bumper. Here are a few "before" shots:

NewBumper1-1.jpg

NewBumper2-1.jpg

NewBumper3-1.jpg

It took forever to get the sticky label off that FedEx slapped on there to ship it! What a freakin' mess! After all that, I spent an hour sanding it and filing down the rough edges, and mopping it all up with acetone. Then I shot it with a few good coats of primer and let it dry. I didn't get any shots of the primer job, you'll just have to imagine what that looked like. :lol:

Once it was primed and dry enough to topcoat, I shot it with several coats of flat black paint. I've still got to do one or two more coats after I sand it back down a little to take out some of the fly tracks and such. I'll get some better pictures later, it started raining just after I got it mounted, so I had to shoot it in the garage.

NewBumper4-1.jpg

NewBumper5-1.jpg

NewBumper6-1.jpg

NewBumper7-1.jpg

It fit perfectly, and I even had room for the lights. I was concerned about that, because it looked like the light tabs were going to be too close to the body. I obviously don't have them wired in and permanently attached, just stuck them in the holes to get an idea of how they would look. All in all, I'm pretty pleased with it! 8)

Looking good! Looks alot like my Rock Hard rear bumper. Did it come with a frame tie in kit?

Looking good! Looks alot like my Rock Hard rear bumper. Did it come with a frame tie in kit?

No, no frame tie in kit, but I'm gonna talk to my boss and see if he'll make me one. He's been a welder since he was 7 years old and can make just about anything he puts his mind to.

Looks good, Sparky!!!! Now all you need are some coil springs and a big, heinous "car" dash!!!

TJ mud

To tie my bumper into the frame i cut out the thin metal and replaced it with a 3/4 plate welded straight to the frame. I almost put some trusses in but it's pretty stout the way it is now so i was content. I've had the whole rear sitting on a rock from the bumper with no bending and jerked off it a few times so i think it's good.
0525071557-1.jpg

0525071558-1.jpg

Before i painted it. Access to a torch and a welder didn't take long at all.

And since when has overkill on a jeep ever really been a bad thing?:?|

Back