NASCAR B'day present!

larrymo49

My wife gave me a B'day gift to take 10 laps around the track at the Texas Motor Speedway in a Corvette.

Don't know all the details yet, but supposed to go next Saturday rain or shine.

Weather forecast is not looking too good at the moment, but should be fun anyhow.

Have any of you done anything similar?

I did the Richard Petty experience at Richmond raceway - it was a blast. We drove 8 laps on a 3/4 mile track - it went by pretty quick, but when I got out I was exhausted and covered with sweat. It really was an awsome time that I'd do again in a heartbeat.

Attachments

• Terry-nascar1.JPG
    Terry-nascar1.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 64
  • Terry-nascar2.jpg
    Terry-nascar2.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 59
I drove across Talladega in my Jeep. Does that count?

You have to drive across the track to exit the infield after the race. Talladega at 5 MPH in a Jeep...not so spectacular.

I never have but I'd do it in a second if I had the chance.

:agree:

I was secretary of the Aeolus Motorcycle Club (Cincinnati, OH) in the early '80s. We had a chance to take a lap around Indy on a weekend ride...........couldn't get anybody in the club interested:shock: :shock: :shock: ........I still don't understand it to this day!!! Wouldn't have been very thrilling speed-wise, but I sure wish we'd have done it!!!! But I'd truly love to put the pedal-to-the-metal (in someone else's car, of course:purple: :purple: ) on a NASCAR track!!!!

Dang!!!

Had to reschedule to March 22, 2008 due to rain and cold forecasted for this Saturday.

Terry...pretty cool pictures of you at Richmond! Did you drive with an instructor or alone? Did you have to follow a pace car? Were other cars on the track at the same time as you? Any actual racing involved?

Sorry for the questions, but I still don't know many details of what to expect.

Larry

We watched a 30 minute video that "fully trained" us, and hopped in the car. It was just me in the car, and I had to follow a pace car. They say that if you get to close to the pace car he'll wave you off, but I couldn't (or forget to look) see into his window - there were a couple of times I thought I was about to climb into his trunk. They encourage you to get close to the pace car, and force him to speed up. It was only one student on the track at a time, and honestly I couldn't have handled trying to pass another car on that track.

Like I said I was on him the whole time, but other guys left like 8 or 9 car lengths between them. I probably would have put it into the wall if the pace car hadn't forced me to slow down.

After those 8 laps we were given the chance (and had to pay $50 more) to ride shotgun with one of the real drivers, and he really opened it up.

It was a blast.

Back