many questions 2009 Jeep Wrangler

delish-trish

Hello Folks!

I'm having issues with my 2009 Jeep Wrangler :(. Transmission has already been changed (Jan 2011). I just wanted to know if any other Jeep owners have the following issues as I am being told that they are characteristics of Jeeps. Here goes:

I live in Montreal, Quebec, and in winter when it gets below freezing, shifting from 1st gear to 2nd is very rough and makes a crunch/grind sound. Almost sounds like gear grinding. My synchro has been changed twice already and both times there has been teeth wear, yet I have never grinded the gears myself. Gear would also pop out of 2nd, we fixed this problem by removing the rubber part that is right under the shifter. Had to remove a part to solve the problem, but anyways, I still had the rough shifting from 1st to 2nd, and even with the new transmission. I also hear what sounds like metal rubbing together when I am at a complete stop and release the clutch. I was also recently stopped at a light, and when it was time to go, I couldn't get it into 1st gear. Felt like there was no gear, I had to leave in 2nd gear. This hasn't happened again, and I hope it doesn't.

I also had to get all the seals on my hard top replaced. Following using the soft top all summer, I changed it to the hard top in the fall and had water infiltrating everywhere in the Jeep (I managed to shop vac almost 250ml of water from one of the back carpets). Funny thing is that it was the 1st time I had removed the hard top, so I found it odd to have these infiltration problems. Needless to say, all the seals were changed in the fall and no problems all winter, until last week when we had some warm weather and rain and I got another infiltration (water dripping and leaking in through passenger side).

Last but not least, during all other months except winter, as soon as the engine heats up, I can feel and hear a knocking sound which seems to come from the steering colum or steering shaft. Dealership has also changed the shaft 3 times and the whole steering colum. Did not fix the problem. I was explained that the manifold is situated close to the steering shaft and colum. As the manifold heats up the manifold shield is not thick enought and the heat caused by this makes the metal in the steering shaft contract therefore resulting in this sound and feeling.

By the way, all these problems were present when I purchased the Jeep in Sept 2009. I spoke with someone directly at Chrysler Canada after having the Jeep for 4 days as I had to take it in for service and was told, "We are so sorry, but the shimmy was caused be the track bar bolts which were not fully SCREWED ON". This was a BRAND NEW JEEP off the ASSEMBLY LINE?!?!?!?!??! Needless to say, they didn't want the Jeep back, said I had a very good warantee and refered me to another dealership. The service has been great at this other dealership, but the problems are not solved and I didn't buy a brand new Jeep to find myself going for services every other month!

Sorry about the long thread, but I need help!!!!

Anyone else have these issues or do I just have a LEMON?

Desperate for answers....
Trish

About the transmission. The six speed is garbage. I have it in my 2006. The old body stlyle... I lost 4th gear a few months ago. And it allways made the clunking and grinding noise... As per the other problems I'm not very familier with the jk

welcome to owning a new dodge, unfortunately.

i don't own one but i had a 2002 liberty and replaced alot of things on it, suspension, engine, control arms, you get the picture. all the new dodges, since back in the 90s have trouble and it spilled into the jeeps in the 2k years. too bad for us. i don't know what to tell you but i feel for you, being a "new" jeep owner previously. i went back to the old style jeeps with ford and chevy parts instead of dodge.

Back