My wife's appendix almost exploded!

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
Thursday night Erin (my wife) was having some pretty bad stomach pain, and we went to the ER. The doctors there didn't find out what was wrong, so they gave her some vicodin and sent us home. :roll:

So, Friday morning she was in crazy pain, and we spent the day at a DIFFERENT hospital. Finally at 8pm she got a CAT scan, and the verdict was acute appendicitis. She was in surgery about an hour later. The doctor said that her appendix was very enlarged, and would have burst very soon - this is ~ 27 hours after first symptoms!

She's home now slowly getting better. I'm just amazed how fast this happened. I'm really glad that we just didn't load her up on drugs and try to wait it out like the ER wanted.

Don't you just love hospitals! :roll:

I am so glad Erin is now fine. Very scary to go through that when you know something is wrong.

Let her know all the jeepers are praying for her fast recovery!

Wow, glad she is ok. A friend of ours had the same thing happen to her but she was in a very small town and the local doctor wasn't anywhere to be found so they brought in the town veterinarian to perform the appendectomy. Scary stuff.

Glad everything turned out ok. This happened to me when I was 5 years old. That is some bad juju there, brother.

Good thing you found a competent hospital/doctor in time...That is scary stuff!!

Glad your wife is okay now. My prayers are with you both.

God Bless,

Larry

My goodness Terry. That sounds like quite an ordeal. I am glad they were able to figure it out in time. I cannot imagine the pain she must have experienced!

I'm glad you got her there before it burst 'cause that's not a fun time. Mine burst on me 4 yrs ago..........felt like my insides caught fire and exploded. Also found out I had diabetes while I was there. I spent a week in the hospital because they had to leave it open to heal from the inside out. Was out of work for 2 months waiting for that fist sized hole to close.

Wow! That could have turned out NOT so good. Glad she is doing okay. I had mine out a few years ago..had that awful pain. Turns out when I woke up from the surgery, the pain was STILL there! OOOPS! Guess it wasn't that pesky ole Appendix after all! :?|
Had so many tests after that and they never found out what it was... I gave up on it.. I still have it now and then and I figure if it was something that bad it would've killed me by now! :purple: They told me that my Appendix really was inflamed though.... really it was. HA!

Glad to hear she gonna be OK, best wishes for a speedy recovery

Hospitals will nearly let you die these days.
Some friends of mine were out Jeep riding. When they stopped, my buddy got out to grab something out of one of the Jeeps and another unoccupied Jeep rolled down a small hill and hit him from behind. The two bumpers tore large chunks out of the front and back of his upper leg. They rushed him to meet an ambulance and told the EMT about his massive blood loss. I believe "gallon" was the term they used.
Five days later I went to visit him in the hospital and he looked terrible, white as a sheet. They never gave him any blood. Later that evening they gave him 4 units of blood and he looked back to normal for the most part. Amazing that they would let him sit there like that for 5 days.

Hospitals will nearly let you die these days.
Some friends of mine were out Jeep riding. When they stopped, my buddy got out to grab something out of one of the Jeeps and another unoccupied Jeep rolled down a small hill and hit him from behind. The two bumpers tore large chunks out of the front and back of his upper leg. They rushed him to meet an ambulance and told the EMT about his massive blood loss. I believe "gallon" was the term they used.
Five days later I went to visit him in the hospital and he looked terrible, white as a sheet. They never gave him any blood. Later that evening they gave him 4 units of blood and he looked back to normal for the most part. Amazing that they would let him sit there like that for 5 days.

I used to bowl with a guy that was an EMT (in Florida)............made $6.50/hr. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Scary thought - My life is in the hands of someone making "barely over" minimum wage and then they're carting me to a hospital that is all about "can we see your insurance card"??????? Scary stuff............something's big-time wrong with this world.............I hope I just die on the trail ('though mudwoman would probably disagree)

Oooooh, been there... about 7-8 years ago mine almost burst. Glad she is fine, you're fortunate.

Back