Off-road tires

I want tires that will work well on the road in wet conditions (snow, rain, ice) but also perform great off-road in some pretty tough conditions and also will not get punctured by sharp rocks. I am looking at two tires, the BF Goodrich All-Terrain and the Yokohoma Geolander A/T Plus. Which do you think is better or is there another you might suggest? Thanks

I've heard good things about the Goodyear MT/R's... they might be worth looking into too.

i bought 5 military, non-directional tread,750-15,tubless. for my old willys, and they grip great,thru coker tire, www.coker.com but i dont know how they are in the rain,plus i have 5.36 ratio so 40mph is tops speed.

If you are looking for a tire that is quiet, performs exceptional in mud, snow, dirt, and grips on rocks and is designed for freeway too. Then look at the Goodyear MTR's. I have a set of 33x12,5x15's with 30,000 miles. I use them on my daily driver, weekend rockcrawler, and to the snow when needed. They are quiet on the freeway at 70 mph and I will buy another set when the time comes. Friends with Goodrich Mudders are also happy in the performance dept, but they have lacked the milage of the MTR's. All in all, it's personal taste.
image-missing.png

[addsig]

I run the Yokahama Geolander AT+II's on my truck. in mud and rocks I can't believe the traction that I get out of these tires. I've got 26K miles on them and have run 33's through the winter on my TJ and didn't have a single problem in the snow. I have friends that run the BFG's and they have problems with them loading up in the the mud but like them in the rocks. I've had bad luck with goodyears so I won't make comment on those. Sneakers are an important part of your truck choose carefully.
[addsig]

Just another note about Goodyears. Several years ago Googyear made a tire called the "MT"
People couldn't get rid of them fast enough. I ran 33 x 12.5R15 Goodrich Mud Terrain and was satisfied until I tried the Goodyear MTR's.
It was about time Goodyear put out a quality mud tire, and I think they out did themselves.
So, when making a decision. Understand there is a big!!! difference between MT's and MTR'S.
Ask people who actually the tires before spending good money.
image-missing.png
Jeep safe
[addsig]

Well you asked about the BFG-AT, I am running a set of them 31x10.5x15. I love them they have all the needed wet traction but like every tire they have their limits. I do not believe that their limits are above or below any others in the wet. As for offroad when I run around 20-24psi they have excellent traction and I have not a single complaint. If you really want to spend the extra dough then yes the MT-R's from Goodyear are a good tire too. For the money, expected use and in this size this BFG is my pick.[addsig]

I am a very large fan of the Goodyear MTRs'. In fact I run them on my tow rig as well as my Jeep. Both sets are the new 37x12.5's and they are wearing as good as can be expected. The agressive tire tread makes for an outstanding offroad tire, yet they aren't too noisy on the road; nor do they steer poorly if inflated to the proper amount.

See you on the rocks.

image-missing.png
[addsig]

when looking at getting tires for all the conditions you want don't just lean towards name brands and also look into a more aggresive offroad tire when it come to snow and ice you can can get the tires spliced but you need to find a tire shop that does that swamper tsl's have a spliced version out with nice side walls to keep them biting in the offroad trails the only problem is the tread life is not there even with the steele belts but you get a heavy duty tire ply which will help out with reducing puctures unless some one gets envious and sslashes them then there is nothing you can do[addsig]

Out of the two tires you are suggesting I recomend the MTR's. I do not have a pair of them, but I have heard great things about them. My swampers grip well but are loud on the street.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>when it come to snow and ice you can can get the tires spliced but you need to find a tire shop that does that </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Is this the same as getting a tire siped?
image-missing.png
[addsig]

the best tires i've ever owned are sigmas. they have a lug like a chevy bow-tie pattern and are awsome mud and snow tires[addsig]

i got them in northampton at DUFFY TIRE {no relation} and for 31s they were about 110- 120 apeice. it was a while ago so i could be off on the price. these were the best rubber i've ever seen , big lugs, fairly quiet on the highway, and man would they clean themselves out. i ran em all year. can't say enough good things about em. when i put new rubber on my cj, it's gonna be them.[addsig]

Back